Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jeffreybryer  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2009 6:20:38 AM(UTC)
jeffreybryer

Groups: Registered

:) I hope someone can help! I have replaced the centrifugal switch on my Kitchen Aid Trash compactor. While the instructions were difficult to follow; I was able to reconnect every colored wire to the switch except for the Black-AC power wire which also leads to the AC plug.

Also, the old switch was slightly different from the new switch. On the new switch, there was a jumper wire. The instruction manual did not indicate clearly whether i leave it on or not.

The motor switch part number I ordered was 780164-Motor Switch. The compactor has a solid pack button, an odor fan button & on & off.

Please help!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2009 10:31:27 AM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
According to the wiring diagram the Black-AC power wire goes from the AC plug to the drawer safety switch and then the color changes to Yellow (after the momentary start switch) which goes to the centrifugal switch. There is no Black wires connected to the centrifugal switch.

According to the Installation instructions (page 2) the jumper wire must be connected to terminals "1" & "2" when you connect motor leads to the new switch.

UserPostedImage

I would recommend to double check all connections in accordance with the wiring diagram and the Installation instructions.

Gene.
jeffreybryer  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2009 1:39:18 PM(UTC)
jeffreybryer

Hi Gene;

I definitely remember removing an all black wire from the old centri-switch. Problem was; the new switch was different & had the jumper-the directions did not say anything about where to plug the black AC wire onto the new motor switch. That's what is so confusing. I will look at your wiring instructions & maybe...before dinner, we'll have a trash compactor again. I truly appreciate your follow-up & all of the volunteers from APP forum. Thank you
jeffreybryer  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2009 1:44:03 PM(UTC)
jeffreybryer

BTW, the black wire was only one half of the AC power cord coming from the wall plug. The other half of the power cord wire was going to the safety switch I believe. Should I not even attach that black power wire connector? There was only one tip left not attached & it was the white wire.
Gene  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2009 2:08:44 PM(UTC)
Gene

Unfortunately I did not see how it was connected in your trash compactor. All my recommendations are based on diagrams and other available paperworks, but logically the black (hot) wire should not be connected straight to the motor.

Gene.
jeffreybryer  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2009 3:02:33 PM(UTC)
jeffreybryer

Hi Gene;

Thanks again for your kindness & thorough information. I will have one wire from the Power cord not connected. Doesn't make sense to me but i'll try:).

You are awesome!
JB
Gene  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2009 3:33:49 PM(UTC)
Gene

You are welcome. Keep us posted.

Gene.
jeffreybryer  
#8 Posted : Saturday, May 16, 2009 10:14:50 AM(UTC)
jeffreybryer

Hello Gene & APP.com;

Thank you once again for your kindness & consideration. I printed out the tech repair forms & was able to find a little note about the white lead on the Centrifugal Motor switch. The note said 'black or white lead' from the motor to the switch. I took a chance and plugged in the last wire (coming from the AC power outlet onto the W lead on the switch. IT WORKED! I am very happy & pleased that it did-it could have gone either way!

I look forward to the next project with you:-).

Best regards,
JB
Jeffrey Bryer
Boca Raton, Florida
jeffreybryer  
#9 Posted : Saturday, July 17, 2010 12:14:15 PM(UTC)
jeffreybryer

I have a Kitchenaid Trash compactor-in May 2009, i replaced the centrifugal motor switch (with a bit of help) and recently replaced the Upper limit switch thinking that it was the reason that the ompactor wouldn;t stop at the top of the cycle & turn off. After replacing the ULS, i've found that it just continues so-was it the ULS after all? I just checked the Solid Compact switch-when turned on-it still returns to the top position instead of remiaing inside the bucket/can & again, it does not stop cycling & makes the tamping sound until i open the toe kick & it cuts off. I've checked ohms on the switches & now i'm going to look at the actual motor while it cycles. I don't know what else to do? I wonder if the new Top Limit Switch has four (4) different settings and perhaps i moved the lever? It sounds like it does when i click it-at least two then. I tried to reset it with the top off of the trash compactor but even when i tried to click the upper / top limit switch, the ram wouldn't turn off or stop. This has been going on way too long for me & my family-i would have ben better off calling sears a long time ago-i'm just trying to save $$$-it's so tight i don't know if we'll be here next month! LMK if you can help!
THank you again:-)
jeffreybryer  
#10 Posted : Thursday, September 2, 2010 7:08:34 AM(UTC)
jeffreybryer

I don't understand a word that the poster published & I am sure that Repair Forum would not allow this to be placed onto any of their site blogs, forums or otherwise.