Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

207 Pages«<172173174175176>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jobysimpson  
#1731 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2012 9:51:02 AM(UTC)
jobysimpson

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: Longjack Go to Quoted Post
Gene,
HELP... have a refrig in a cottage on a remote island in the Bahamas thats been givng me a fit, as it has sat idle for about 4/5 years and now that I got it running (had to clean the defrost fan), seems to run fine for a while (a few days) and then the refrig goes warm. However, before getting to that point, it frig compartment gets way too cold, and it constantly runs.
When the frig does get to the warm stage, I remove the back freezer panel and usually see a lot of frost build up in the damper ventway. I clean it out, and am good to good for another few days, but again the frig gets near freezing afdter a couple days.
Am a littel confused after reading about your test on the defrost timer, as I rotate the timer with a screwdirver, which causes it to stop running and the defrost heater comes on. (From your post, does that mean the timer is bad?)
I was actaully thinking the cold control had gone bad and that's why it was running all the time... or could both the defrost timer and cold control be bad?
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

My Original Problem with my Kenmore Model#59679142990 Fridge was the Freezer wasn't cooling and the Fridge was ice cold. Had a repairman come. He throughly cleaned out around the coils, replaced the defrost heater because he found ice buildup on the back panel and told me the renters had too much food in the freezer. After that didn't work and there was ice buildup on the back panel again, he came back and replaced the Motherboard Control Switch and said there was still too much food in the freezer. The third call was because the freezer started working great and the Fridge was no longer cooling. No air was circulating now in the fridge. The freezer was nearly empty and there was still a little ice build-up. They are defrosting the fridge once a week now and it only works well for about 2 days. I have paid hundreds of dollars for the two replacement parts. One don't know if I should put anymore money into it, but it sounds like you might now what could be wrong. Does is sound like the Cold Control is bad as well? My fridge did sit idle for a while, as the house was on the market for about a year before I purchased it. Thanks for any help.
JimMitchell  
#1732 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2012 12:19:56 PM(UTC)
JimMitchell

Hello Gene. I performed both the 'Self-Diagnostic in Initial Power-On' test AND the 'Self-Diagnostic in Normal Operation' test.

In the 'Power-On' test, I received a '3' error on the FRIG side, which I'm assuming is actually 5 separate error messages based on the tech manual:
(1) Ice Maker Sensor
(2) Refrigerator Sensor
(3) Refrigerator Defrost Sensor
(4) Refrigerator Fan Error
(7) Refrigerator Defrost Error

After the power down, I plugged it back in after waiting for about 15 mins, and the temps on the displays returned to 0° on the freezer side and 34° on the frig side within a couple hrs, but the actual temp inside the unit were much hotter on the frig side (58°). The freezer continues to operate normally.
The display stayed this way until this morning (about 12 hrs later) and the frig side display went up to 66°. The internal temp on my thermometer read 60°.

I then performed the 'Self-Diagnostic in Normal Operation' test by pressing 'Power Freeze' & 'Power Cool' for 8 seconds until I heard the audible 'beep', and the resulting error message was #7, 'Refrigerator Defrost Error.' That was the only error.

Could that be causing the temp variances on the frig side?

I'm pretty sure that the compressor is NOT coming on at all on the frig side at this point. The internal temps are not cooling down at all, regardless of what the display reads.

What component or components do you think might be the problem?

I'll order them and replace them based on your recommendations.

Thanks again for your help!

Jim
JimMitchell  
#1733 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2012 12:22:06 PM(UTC)
JimMitchell

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
Hi Jim,

Perform the self-diagnostics as described in the Service manual (page 32). You have to register there to download the service manual.

Gene.

Hello Gene. I performed both the 'Self-Diagnostic in Initial Power-On' test AND the 'Self-Diagnostic in Normal Operation' test.

In the 'Power-On' test, I received a '3' error on the FRIG side, which I'm assuming is actually 5 separate error messages based on the tech manual:
(1) Ice Maker Sensor
(2) Refrigerator Sensor
(3) Refrigerator Defrost Sensor
(4) Refrigerator Fan Error
(7) Refrigerator Defrost Error

After the power down, I plugged it back in after waiting for about 15 mins, and the temps on the displays returned to 0° on the freezer side and 34° on the frig side within a couple hrs, but the actual temp inside the unit were much hotter on the frig side (58°). The freezer continues to operate normally.
The display stayed this way until this morning (about 12 hrs later) and the frig side display went up to 66°. The internal temp on my thermometer read 60°.

I then performed the 'Self-Diagnostic in Normal Operation' test by pressing 'Power Freeze' & 'Power Cool' for 8 seconds until I heard the audible 'beep', and the resulting error message was #7, 'Refrigerator Defrost Error.' That was the only error.

Could that be causing the temp variances on the frig side?

I'm pretty sure that the compressor is NOT coming on at all on the frig side at this point. The internal temps are not cooling down at all, regardless of what the display reads.

What component or components do you think might be the problem?

I'll order them and replace them based on your recommendations.

Thanks again for your help!

Jim
Gene  
#1734 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2012 12:29:47 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Which part did you call "motherboard control switch"? Do you have the part number?

Per the information you posted the problem can be a bad defrost thermostat (on top of the evaporator coils) and/or a bad damper control.

- The defrost thermostat Part number: 10442411
Part number: 10442411

- The damper control Part number: R0161050
Part number: R0161050

Gene.
Gene  
#1735 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2012 12:41:48 PM(UTC)
Gene

Hi Jim,

In such situation I would suspect the main PCB. The part number I posted earlier.

Gene.
JimMitchell  
#1736 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2012 2:46:03 PM(UTC)
JimMitchell

Got it, thanks Gene. I'm ordering it now.

How about the Start Relay , Item Number: AP4141104 ?

Also, the C - Oil , Item Number: AP4033723 ?

Should I just be pro-active and go ahead and replace these as well since I'm back there replacing the PCB?

Thanks!

Jim
Gene  
#1737 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2012 3:11:14 PM(UTC)
Gene

These parts are inexpensive and it would not hurt to replace them.

Gene.
tom2russia  
#1738 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2012 6:02:36 PM(UTC)
tom2russia

Have a GE eterna series frige. Have replaced the mother board several sensors problem is not defrost timer or damper controls and now my tech guy says the only thing left is to try replacing the compressor. Can the compressor be the problem if the freezer is getting to 5degrees and frige only 60 degrees? This would be a costly next step, should I take it?
Gene  
#1739 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2012 2:24:47 PM(UTC)
Gene

What is the complete model number of the refrigerator?

Gene.
tom2russia  
#1740 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:48:33 PM(UTC)
tom2russia

The model # is General Electric ESS22XGMDWW