Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

207 Pages«<151152153154155>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gene  
#1521 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2012 12:30:58 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Such chance is very small.

Gene.
Brac  
#1522 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2012 9:09:17 AM(UTC)
Brac

Groups: Registered

Part arrived and was installed, fairly simple job. I have a thermometer in the fridge and I'm on "1" for the fresh food setting and only at 30 degrees. I have the freezer side on "3" and temp in there is 12 below. I'm a bit concerned, as I don't have much more room for adjustment.
Brac
Gene  
#1523 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2012 1:42:26 PM(UTC)
Gene

It is too cold in both compartments. Try to set the freezer control on "2" and check the temperatures after 24 hours. Set it on "1" if it's still too cold.

Gene.
P.S. Did you load the fridge with food?
Brac  
#1524 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2012 5:05:11 AM(UTC)
Brac

I really don't understand. Before I changed the part when the fridge would get too hot or too cold, I would reach in a give the control box a lite smack. As soon as I smacked it I would hear the dampner motor turn on and it would either stop blowing cold air or start blowing cold air which ever was needed.. The control box that was shipped to me acts the exact same way. I got up this morning and it the fridge was 27 degrees, I gave the control box a light tap, and it stopped blowing cold air.
Please advise.
Thanks
Brac
GeneL56  
#1525 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2012 8:56:26 AM(UTC)
GeneL56

Kenmore 106.74254401: Freezer on top, frige on bottom. The freezer sometimes does not keep ice cream and frozen juices hard, but it does produce ice and keeps everything else frozen. the frige has problems staying above 44 degrees even though i have the thermostats set at maximum. Coils under the fridge are clean. I took off the back panel of the freezer and no frost/ice is present. I located the damper door in the frige portion and it was shut tight so i manually pried it up a little and stuck a popsickle stick in the opening to keep it open a bit. that seems to help the cooling in the frige somewhat--I do feel air flow coming out of the shute. And the popsickle stick remains in place so i don't think the damper door is opening/closing on its own. The fan in the freezer compartment does run and air comes out of the tower. Question: do you think my problem is just with the damper? Just replace the damper control or ?? thanks !
GeneL56  
#1526 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2012 9:27:46 AM(UTC)
GeneL56

I didn't intend to make this my "blog" BUT: so after I posted the last question, I put the back freezer panel back on and while closely observing the damper door, i turned the freezer thermostat down to "1", and the damper door opened! As I turned the freezer therm "up", the damper door began to close. So I am leaving my freezer therm in a lower setting to see if that solves my problem with fridge cooling. If fridge cooling is able to maintain at proper temps, my remaining question will be: why has my freezer not been able to consistently maintain sufficient coldness to keep ice cream/frozen juices hard? My ice cream and frozen juices would turn to "soup" consistency and then refreeze somewhat. Continued thanks !
Gene  
#1527 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2012 4:06:24 PM(UTC)
Gene

Hi Brac,

Make sure there is nothing which can block the damper gate. Check the window between the freezer and fresh food where the air goes through.

Double check all connections inside the control box.

Gene.
Gene  
#1528 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2012 4:53:17 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: GeneL56 Go to Quoted Post
...I took off the back panel of the freezer and no frost/ice is present...

...I located the damper door in the frige portion and it was shut tight so i manually pried it up a little and stuck a popsickle stick in the opening to keep it open a bit. that seems to help the cooling in the frige somewhat...

...while closely observing the damper door, i turned the freezer thermostat down to "1", and the damper door opened...

Hi GeneL,

If the evaporator coils are clean with no snow/frost, it is a sign of a problem with the sealed system. It can be low on Freon or the compressor is not pumping as it should.

The controls in your refrigerator consists of the thermostat (refrigerator control) which reads and controls temperature in the fresh food compartment and the damper (freezer control) which operates the cold air flow from the freezer into the fresh food. So, when you adjust the freezer temperature, you actually regulate the cold air flow. If you set it to colder, you actually closing the damper to keep more cold air in the freezer.

Gene.
GeneL56  
#1529 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2012 5:44:28 PM(UTC)
GeneL56

Gene, for the last 7 hours, I have had the refrig themostat set on "5", the coldest setting and the freezer control set on the lowest setting but the refrigerator will not cool below 45 degrees.The compressor (?) shuts off periodically even though the desired coldness has not been achieved. My refrigerator is 7 years old. Based on your expert advice/diagnosis I think it is time for new refrigerator. Thank you very much !
GeneL56  
#1530 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:28:50 AM(UTC)
GeneL56

Hi Gene, this morning, the refrigerator was at 45 degrees and the freezer was at 38 degrees. the compressor was not running. the refrigerator thermostat was set at the highest setting, "5" and the freezer setting was at the lowest "1". I turned the frig themostat to "off" then back "on" again to "5" and the compressor immediately turned "on". In 30 minutes the refrigerator was down to 32 degrees and the freezer was at 20 degrees. Is this scenario symptomatic of low freon or a bad compressor or is the problem perhaps with my thermostat? Thanks again. GeneL56