Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

207 Pages«<134135136137138>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
orlandojim  
#1351 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 9:54:34 AM(UTC)
orlandojim

Groups: Registered

I was out of town for a week and my wife called to report the fridge not cooling but freezer fine. it was 54F in fridge. My neighbor recommended a guy who came, checked and told her she needed a board which controlled the system and defrost. She paid $140 + 40 labor for board but still not cooling. The fan in freezer works fine. Any suggestions? Jim
Gene  
#1352 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 3:43:07 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Jim,

For the right start we need the complete model number of the refrigerator and more detailed description on the problem.

Gene.
bbc3  
#1353 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2011 7:35:34 AM(UTC)
bbc3

Hi Gene,

As for me my refrigerator is a Kennmore 106.53652300. I have read a lot of this thread and tried a few things.
1. I cleared out the frige and examined the apparent vent to the freezer in the upper left corner of the fridge of this side-by-side unit. It was completely blocked with ice. I am wondering what caused this?
2. To rule out further, I then cleared the freezer side. I took out the icemaker and removed the upper rear paneling and air guide forms. The fan is operational and air is blowing up out of the back panel area. The "L" shaped guide to the fridge was clear and I could not feel any ice going into the hole in the side wall to the fridge.
3. Next I took a hair dryer and melted all the ice out of the fridge side of the upper left corner air supply. I did not note any change in the seemingly non-existant air flow to the fridge side from this vent.
4. Next I removed the Lower rear freezer side panel revealing the evaporator coil. There was ice at the upper top right side right where the refrigerant line makes the turn down. There was also minor ice buildup at the bottom front area of the coil. I melted that with the hair dryer too. It should be noted that the ice would not seem to melt off the starting horizontal run of the refrigerant line (start of the evap coil) or on the first leg down. This block of ice at the top corner (turn down as prev described) and the light layer on the beginning line section to the bottom just would not melt. I assume that was because I never unplugged the unit. It should also be noted that toward the end of this 30 min process, the compressor and circulation fan shut off regardless of the fact that things were nearing room temp?!?!
5. So after I have put everything back, the compressor and fan kicked on again as I was completing the re-install of the parts. It was a total of 10 minutes it was not running. But I can detect no real air movement though the frige wall at the upper left cold air supply opening. It should also be noted that when I felt on the freezer side of this upper transfer duct, there was not air from the hair dryer going through. Actually I thought there must be a wall baffle diffusing the air flow, but now I am wondering if that was indeed the control flap stuck???!!??
6. To date and previously:
a) I have cleaner the lower condenser coil and noted the condenser fan appeared operating normally.
b) I have NOT measured the temperature. As the freezer seemed really cold and I noted the fan running and plenty of air comming out in my face when I opened the door.

I did not further water dripping from the upper left vent area after I completed the reinstall of all parts. I THOUGHT I have melted all the ice and even heat dried all the moisture. Perhaps there IS still ice in there causing the flap to sick shut.

I am hoping it is not a CONTROL BOARS ISSUE of course.

FINALLY, I can't figure out for the life of me how to take off the upper left air vent/baffle part from the fridge.?!!? Pehaps it snaps in from the freezer side.?

Originally Posted by: bbc3 Go to Quoted Post
Hello again.

This is my first involvement with this type fridge issue. I have the same as it does not seem to be cooling well, but the freezer seems fine....

Thanks all again for all the help. Joe & Gene have helped me greatly in the past. I have read much of this thread So I guess it convolutes in my head after a while. So I am backing up to start with first and analyze - but I am wondering....

The situation may be a matter of thermostat/controls. I have not even put a thermometer to it yet, but the freezer appears arctic when I open the door. The fridge is just not gettting there. I did open up the bottom are and blow the dog hair, dust out of the coils etc... I noticed a tiny bit of water in a pan I think. Seemed to help A LITTLE...

But I really first suspected the primary problem was the ADJUSTMENT PERIOD when you say add new warm items to the fridge. I have found that they can get pretty cold after a few days. But the again, I have it set up almost highest setting on fridge and this used to freeze liquids in the fridge, so prob not...

Hell I dont know. Whilpool/kennmore fridge sidee by side. 25.4cf. 10 years old. Thermostate and to freezer vent appearing in the upper left corner of the fridge.. Sorry, I'll have the model next time I check in... I'll go back and start with the first post again..:) Thanks in advance.

OK, read a tiny bit more and have a question. Where is the air vent in the freezer? Is it up top or down low. I do note that my freezer has been packed like never before and think this may coincide...
bbc3  
#1354 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2011 8:34:07 AM(UTC)
bbc3

One more further. I have looked again and I am starting to speculate the the vent in the upper left corner of the frige has no "flapper" and may indeed be FAN DRIVEN - to which the fan has failed. So now I am speculating again and need to find the parts schematic... there is no blockage at the lower return vent midway down the frige left inside panel.... Maybe not a fan in there but I am seeing the part and it is called a Diffuser. Could this be the fix.? Finally I see there is a THermistor that people apparently buy with this. It is reading open circuit when removed and checked for continuity (at room temp). I am speculating this is incorrect? Or do I have it backwards?
bbc3  
#1355 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2011 9:03:21 AM(UTC)
bbc3

So let me correct myself again. Yes that is apparently a motor on the diffuser but only controlling the opening and closing of the thru vent apparently. I have jumped the thermistor hookup point as I cant get a closed circuit reading on the meter when the thermister is warm or cold. But still not really a lot of air. Perhaps I should look in there and see if it is moving when I jump it?
bbc3  
#1356 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2011 9:10:05 AM(UTC)
bbc3

So Eureeka! I jumped it while looking inside the diffuser from the frige side. NO movement. A scratch of the head and in with a screw driver. I managed to figure the mechanism out. With the screw driver I was able to slide the vent panel over and air flows nicely. I further moved it back and forth a few times noting stiffness in the action. Thinking perhaps I had freed a last piece of ice, or a temp jam of the motor/gears I again jumped it a few times to see if it worked. No dice. But at least the vent is manually open now and the fridge with cool/ Freeze:eek: - Better than hot...

Look! And not even one techical reply yet. But all due to the great information here.!!! Thanks guys!!

So I am speculating that ice built up and the motor burned out, or slipped a gear whilst trying to move the sliding panel when it could not.... Am I close?:)
bbc3  
#1357 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2011 9:27:46 AM(UTC)
bbc3

Now is the point I would normally go nutty and take the part out and try to fix IT.. But ya know what. You guys saved me probably at least a hundred bucks on repair labor so the hell with it. I have ordered both the thermistor and the diffuser from you. Thanks again...:)
orlandojim  
#1358 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2011 7:21:27 PM(UTC)
orlandojim

Gene,
Its a GE 25 side-by-side, model #GSS25jfpdww. There is no air coming into to fridge side but the freezer is very cold. Temp in fridge side if 54f
I cleaned the coil of dust and saw no water in pan. The fan to the compressor is running fine. The
unit is four years old. jim
orlandojim  
#1359 Posted : Friday, September 2, 2011 2:11:54 PM(UTC)
orlandojim

Gene,
More info: GE 25 side by side: today I emptied freezer and put all food in another fridge. The back wall has some ice and fan still blows fine but no air coming into fridge side (temp 54f) The unit was fine for the past year. I never hooked water or ice maker but it was not a problem in past. I mentioned on 8/31 that my wife had board replaced with new one with no improvement. I am assuming it has to do with defrost system. The APP parts guys said the defrost clock/timer on this model is built into the board. GSS25JFPDww Orlandojim
skingkeo  
#1360 Posted : Sunday, September 4, 2011 5:58:08 AM(UTC)
skingkeo

Gene,
I have a kenmore 10650593000, it about 12yrs old...yesterday, I replace the freezer thermostat and the heater element. Now I can only hear the compressor starter click, but the compresssor is not running. Does this mean my compressor is fried?

Thank!