Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

207 Pages«<5152535455>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dandk1997  
#521 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2009 8:30:48 PM(UTC)
dandk1997

Groups: Registered

Found it- got in (and boy, they don't make that easy- you'd need the tiniest ratchet in the world and thankfully the socket on my multi-head screwdriver was exactly the right size.)

Testing it now. :D
dandk1997  
#522 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2009 9:50:19 PM(UTC)
dandk1997

I hate to be the idiot talking to myself, but I found the timer, tested it, and heard no noise, so I shot off an email to borrow an ohmmeter from a friend.

In the meantime, though, I finally figured out how to get that back panel off inside the freezer (without destroying the ice maker in the process) and lo and behold, there was NO ICE, NO SNOW, NO FROST on the coils. None at all. I put my fingers down the air duct that vents into the fridge, and found a bit of ice build-up, which I cleared out. I ALSO realized as soon as I looked at it that the "COLDEST" setting in the freezer was at the detriment of my fridge. Turned it down to cold and am already getting more airflow, so we may be good for another day or two until we can get to the root of this problem.

So I guess my question at this point is what can these things add up to:
1) Two weeks(ish) of clunking and thunking noises coming from the freezer, followed quickly by frost build-up all over everything in the freezer, (massive quantities, like if I clear something off before I go to work, when I come back ten hours later, it is covered with an inch of snow/ice)
2) Freezer suddenly so warm milk spoils
3) Defrost timer still advancing, coils not actually covered in ice at all as I suspected, just everything else covered in the freezer

Doesn't seem like the defrost system is the problem.

What else should I be looking for? If it weren't for the thunks and clunks, I might think it was just the freezer setting + the buildup in the vent, but what could be causing the noise?

Again, my deepest gratitude for the help. I was having a really rotten day, and finally being able to find that timer was a very good thing at the end of a very long (late) night here on the east coast.
Gene  
#523 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:05:32 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Quote:
...there was NO ICE, NO SNOW, NO FROST on the coils. None at all...

This is very bad sign. If the compressor and the fan in the freezer are working, but the evaporator (inside the freezer) coils are clean - that means there is a problem with the sealed (cooling) system. It can be low on Freon or the compressor is not pumping well and it can be very costly.

Set the temperature controls for a coldest temperature and watch the fridge for a day.

Gene.
Wendy  
#524 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2009 5:14:26 PM(UTC)
Wendy

Gene,

Back to report on freezer/fridge temps. After 24 hrs., approx., freezer and fridge still set where you told me, the freezer is 0-2 degrees and the fridge anywhere from 32 to 37 degrees. It depends on which shelf, but I did notice that when the fridge goes into defrost mode, the temp goes up 3-4 degrees in the fridge. I don't know if that is normal or not because I've never paid much attention to it.

I will await further instructions on where to set the knobs. If it makes any difference, I don't have much of anything in the fridge except some bottled water and a few condiments.

Thanks!
charleswilt  
#525 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:20:46 PM(UTC)
charleswilt

I've got a Kenmore model# 10650592000. The freezer is at 0, the fridge was at 50+.

From the threads here, I checked the coils (fine) and the fan (also fine).

A similar post mentioned the defuser/damper or the thermostat. Looking at the defuser/damper, it was closed when I first took it out (though it opened at some point, perhaps when I unpluged it?) I went ahead and replaced it yesterday afternoon (AP3046080). This morning, the fridge was at 41. That seems better, but still to high. I can feel air moving through the defuser, but don't know if it's full force or not. I've lowered the temperature setting for the fridge and will check it tomorrow morning.

Before I spend the money on a new thermostat (AP3092674), is there anyway to confirm if the thermostat is bad? Or are there any other parts I should look at?

Thanks!
Charles Wilt
dandk1997  
#526 Posted : Thursday, August 13, 2009 8:05:42 AM(UTC)
dandk1997

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
This is very bad sign. If the compressor and the fan in the freezer are working, but the evaporator (inside the freezer) coils are clean - that means there is a problem with the sealed (cooling) system. It can be low on Freon or the compressor is not pumping well and it can be very costly.

Set the temperature controls for a coldest temperature and watch the fridge for a day.

Gene.

Well, 30+ hours after cleaning out the little bit of ice in the vent and changing the freezer temp setting to cold instead of coldest, the fridge is running around 33-34 degrees. Whatever the clunking noise was, nobody has noticed it for the last two days. Keeping my fingers crossed that things are somehow okay.

Thanks again for the help- I'll be back if things go wrong again.
charleswilt  
#527 Posted : Friday, August 14, 2009 3:49:29 AM(UTC)
charleswilt

I went ahead and replaced the thermostat.

Fridge is still in the low 40s after waiting overnight.

What should I consider now?

Charles

Originally Posted by: charleswilt Go to Quoted Post
I've got a Kenmore model# 10650592000. The freezer is at 0, the fridge was at 50+.

From the threads here, I checked the coils (fine) and the fan (also fine).

A similar post mentioned the defuser/damper or the thermostat. Looking at the defuser/damper, it was closed when I first took it out (though it opened at some point, perhaps when I unpluged it?) I went ahead and replaced it yesterday afternoon (AP3046080). This morning, the fridge was at 41. That seems better, but still to high. I can feel air moving through the defuser, but don't know if it's full force or not. I've lowered the temperature setting for the fridge and will check it tomorrow morning.

Before I spend the money on a new thermostat (AP3092674), is there anyway to confirm if the thermostat is bad? Or are there any other parts I should look at?

Thanks!
Charles Wilt
Gene  
#528 Posted : Friday, August 14, 2009 11:53:43 AM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I went ahead and replaced the thermostat.

Fridge is still in the low 40s after waiting overnight.

What should I consider now?

Charles

Charles,

Set both temperature controls one point toward colder setting and wait about 24 hours to see the result. Normal temperature in the refrigerator should be between 36°F to 40°F on different levels while the temperature in freezer should be about 0°F.

Make sure the condenser on the back of the refrigerator is clean.

Gene.
charleswilt  
#529 Posted : Friday, August 14, 2009 3:27:24 PM(UTC)
charleswilt

Thanks Gene,

I had set the fridge one point colder this morning, so far hasn't seemed to help. It's running about 44.

I'll set the freeze 1 point colder, though it is already at 0.

Condenser is underneath on this model, but yes it's clean. Just cleaned it this past weekend in fact (we try to do it every month or so)

Thanks for your help,
Charles Wilt

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
Charles,

Set both temperature controls one point toward colder setting and wait about 24 hours to see the result. Normal temperature in the refrigerator should be between 36°F to 40°F on different levels while the temperature in freezer should about 0°F.

Make sure the condenser on the back of the refrigerator is clean.

Gene.
charleswilt  
#530 Posted : Sunday, August 16, 2009 5:26:56 AM(UTC)
charleswilt

Ok, Changed the setting Friday night, as of this morning, temp in the fridge was 42.

I bump the fridge & freezer another notch toward colder (at 7 now) to see what happens.

Just now went to check the temp of the freezer, freezer's at 15??? WTF???

Actually it looks like I may have caught the freezer in a defrost cycle. Can hear stuff "tinking" and see water dripping. I'll check it again a little later.

Charles

Thanks Gene,

I had set the fridge one point colder this morning, so far hasn't seemed to help. It's running about 44.

I'll set the freeze 1 point colder, though it is already at 0.

Condenser is underneath on this model, but yes it's clean. Just cleaned it this past weekend in fact (we try to do it every month or so)

Thanks for your help,
Charles Wilt