Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
R Grubb  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 19, 2007 10:47:24 AM(UTC)
R Grubb

Groups: Registered

When unit retracts, motor does not shut off and continues to hum. I must unplug it to get it to stop. It is fully retracted when this happens. It will not raise either.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Admin / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 21, 2007 12:17:18 AM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I don't see a lower limit switch, in fact I don't see any limit switches there, so I'm assuming the problem is with the control board at the bottom (#22 on the diagram).

- Replacement control board
jlance  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2007 11:56:15 AM(UTC)
jlance

My problem is identical to what you described.
Used GE instructions I found inside the electrical box to dismantle unit.
Discovered the problem was the up/down motor. Motor was making noise like it was spinning. Just did not have enough juice to fully turn over and raise the vent. If you gave it a little assist it would work. I have ordered a new motor. It's not too bad to get at once you get it apart.
kc979  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2009 1:06:49 PM(UTC)
kc979

My problem is related but opposite to what is described. My hood will lower and raise, but when it's raised, the blower doesn't turn on. I have to shake/lift/wiggle the hood a little before the blower turns on. It seems like it doesn't recognize that the hood is fully extended at first, so it cuts off power to the blower. I checked the wires and they seem snug.

What mechanism does the hood use to recognize whether or not the hood is fully extended? I looked at the diagram, but it's not obvious to me.
MarkU  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 27, 2010 8:04:40 AM(UTC)
MarkU

My GE Profile downdraft system has a problem that seems related to the other posts here. The on-off switch (it's the 30" model so the switch is incorporated into the fan housing) works to make the system go up and it will turn on so the fan works. I can turn the fan off (using the separate switch for that), but the on-off switch in the housing doesn't work to allow the system to lower itself. I know the electricity to the device is working (the fan works) but maybe there is a problem in the switch itself. Sometimes it makes a noise, when I push the button, but I can't find out what to do to get it to lower itself.

I did not at any time feed it ************, so that's not the problem.

Any advice is appreciated. Perhaps it's the switch, itself (although it seems to work to make the device go erect).

Thanks,
Mark Uhlfelder