Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jamison  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 28, 2009 9:16:48 AM(UTC)
Jamison

Groups: Registered

My trash compactor has stopped working. There is power to the unit, but when I trigger the foot pedal to start operation, all that happens is a humming noise. Now what ????
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

rrryan5  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 28, 2009 9:34:35 AM(UTC)
rrryan5

I have the same problem. If you take off the plate behind the motor you can reach in and spin the motor with you hand (unplug first). This gets it running again. However, this is only a temporary fix. It starts to do it more and more frequently until it no longer works. This is where I am at now. I am hoping someone has a repair so I do not have to replace the entire motor.
olivemetzger  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 3, 2010 9:12:37 AM(UTC)
olivemetzger

Originally Posted by: Jamison Go to Quoted Post
My trash compactor has stopped working. There is power to the unit, but when I trigger the foot pedal to start operation, all that happens is a humming noise. Now what ????

I am having the same problem with my compactor. If I manually move the ram and try then the comactor runs about three times. After that, just the noise and nothing works. Any idea at all what is cauing this? My GE Profile is just out of warranty.
olivemetzger  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 3, 2010 10:37:52 AM(UTC)
olivemetzger

I have been given this information and have ordered the part for myself. So far it makes more sense than any other replies I have had.
Replace the directional switch ,, it cost about $24 and that will take care of the problem ,, you have to move the ram to get it pass the switch and then it will run ,, you can also get it at a local appliance parts dealer with the model number and it will come with instructions / thanks and have a great new year:)
edroffey  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 1, 2010 7:08:38 AM(UTC)
edroffey

I've had the same problem with mine. About 2 years into it. I changed out the motor and it worked fine for another year. Now it's doing the same thing again....just humming. If I turn the motor by hand, it will run once or twice then humming again. I found someone familiar with it and it's a broken tooth on the shaft housing the governor. A small piece of plastic is all. Problem is that I can't find one anywhere. I'm looking into jury-rigging something...I'm not buying a whole new motor just for that. Hope this helps. Anyone know where I can get parts for the governor portion of the electric motor?