Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Countryhome  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 2, 2024 12:58:04 PM(UTC)
Countryhome

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello all, I recently moved into a new rental with the following washer and dryer:

GE Profile washing machine, model: WPSR3100W1WW
GE 7.2 CU. FT. Electric dryer model: GTD42EASJ2WW

After a few weeks of doing laundry without issue, the dryer has started to take 2 to 3 full cycles to get the clothing fully dry. At first I thought that maybe the dryer was the issue, so I pulled the dryer out and cleaned all of the lint that had accumulated beneath the lint trap out and checked the air flow through the dryer and exiting the dryer. I climbed onto the roof to check the dryer vent and did my best to blow out and vacuum the vent ducting between the dryer and the outside vent using a shop vac. The problem still persisted, so I next checked the washing machine.

I took the front panel off the washing machine and observed the water cycling through the system from fill to rinse to spin. I was going to just toss in a new pump since it is a cheap and easy replacement, but after watching a load of clothes drain and spin, it appears that the pump is functioning, so I decided against putting a new pump on.

The water seems to drain fine with no standing water at the bottom of the tub the clothing is in by the time the spin cycle starts, and I watched the water through the agitator as it spun, and it didn't seem to back up at all. The pump seems to be running fine. My only observation is that at the very end of the wash cycle, if I shake the agitator, I can hear some water in the bottom, probably 3 or 4 cups worth.

My girlfriend thinks that the clothes feels a little too wet when the washer has finished, but I am not 100% sure if it is. I can't squeeze a drop of water out of the clothes if I wring it. I am not fully convinced that the clothing is coming out too wet.

If it is indeed an issue with the washer, my guess is going to be it is the speed of the spin cycle not drying the clothes quite as much as it was, which form my research is caused by a loose belt or a transmission issue. The belt doesn't look loose in operation to me, and the spin cycle is spinning pretty fast. I'm just not sure if this is the issue and am not sure how to diagnose those being the issue.

I can't imagine it being the pump solely from the fact that there is no extra water in the bottom of the tub with the clothing at all during the spin cycle.

The washer also does make some extra noise during agitation, and I haven't pinpointed where it is coming from yet, but it is like a squeaking/groaning that is almost like a tapping or clanking sound when I listen closer. I watched underneath the machine and didn't see the motor or any part under the agitator hitting the bottom, which I understand is one potential cause of this issue. It only happens twice during the cycle, both during agitation.

So I am thinking this issue is either the clothing is a little too wet due to spin cycle speed, or the dryer isn't cycling heat properly due to a thermostat or heating element issue. The dryer seems to have enough heat, but I'm just not sure and am not sure what to do aside from replace the washing machine at this point. This model of dryer has an expensive heating element that lines the back cover behind the drum (requiring drum removal to access), so giving a tune-up to the dryer isn't practical nor is it cheap.

If anyone with more experience has any pointers, they would be greatly appreciated and considered.

Thank you all for your time.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.