Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kwokojance  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2013 7:26:11 PM(UTC)
kwokojance

Groups: Registered

I am trying to troubleshoot an issue with my Maytag washing machine. First, when on the rinse cycle I noticed a loud squealing belt sound. I was on my way out, and let it run. Two days later the machine would not spin when on the rinse cycle. It would only hum and smell burnt. I turned it over and found the drive belt had broken. I had hoped that the burnt smell was only the belt. I replaced it with a cheap auto parts belt of the same length. I tested the motor with the belts off in the spin cycle and it spins freely and without problem (no smoking). I tested it with the washer pump belt attached (which I also replaced as it was quite loose), and again, no problem. Then I tested it with the drive belt on in the rinse cycle again, and it starts, but appears to do so with some hesitation. It picks up speed to about 1/5 normal speed and then stops after 3 seconds. It may be that the thermal protector trips. (However, it is not even warm to the touch) If repeated it starts smoking. I'm afraid I fried the motor, but I would like to rule out possible power supply or other issues. I'm hoping that there is no problem with the transmission causing greater than normal torque requirement, but it does spin freely when turned by hand; the tub that is. Is it apparent I'm a novice at this?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.