Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
James Hann  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 13, 2011 7:10:01 AM(UTC)
James Hann

Groups: Registered

My GE side by side has worked fine until recently. I noticed that the refrigerator side wasn't as cold as it should be (about 50 degrees). About a month ago, I just unplugged it to defrost for 24 hours, plugged it back in and it seemed to work fine. Just recently, it started to malfunction again. I read your suggestion that it's probably a faulty defrost system. I tested the defrost timer as you suggested and it seemed fine. Based on this, I presumed the problem was probably the defrost heater. When I took it apart to replace, the heater was obviously bad - I replaced it with a new GE defrost heater for this model. When I plugged it back in and started it up, The freezer cooled down to about 5 degrees (though now it doesn't make ice -- at least not yet???) but the refrigerator still only cools to about 50 degrees. It's been turned on now for 2 days and otherwise seems to be running fine. No ice and the refrigerator stays at a constant 50 degrees. The defrost heater was bad and replaced but this hasn't solved the problem. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

gabe_1981  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 13, 2011 7:55:54 AM(UTC)
gabe_1981

Groups: Senior Expert

Sounds like you still may have a defrost issue ... Whenever I replace the heater I always replace the defrost thermostate too ... If your still gettin large amounts of ice forming on the back wall of the freezer its a sure indication you still have defrost issues
James Hann  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 13, 2011 9:32:26 AM(UTC)
James Hann

The thermostat came with the defrost heater and was replaced at the same time. This model is a side-by-side so the coils are under -- they are clean and don't appear to be frozen up -- there isn't any ice anywhere. Any other ideas? Thanks.
gabe_1981  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2011 7:23:21 AM(UTC)
gabe_1981

There are a few more things to check now that we have ruled out a defrost issue ... First make sure the evaporator fan is running during the cooling cycle ... On some models the freezer door light switch should be depressed in order for the fan to come on ... Next check that the condensor fan is running during the cooling cycle ... This fan is located by the compressor ... Also check to make sure the condensor coils are free of lint and dirt ... They may need to be vacuumed out ... If all that looks good and functional check the door seal that its tight all the way around when the door is closed ... And also check to make sure the interior light is not staying on with the door closed ... Let me know what you find ... I maybe able to throw some more ideas at you.
James Hann  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2011 8:37:12 AM(UTC)
James Hann

Thanks for your thoughts. I replaced the defrost timer to be sure that wasn't the problem. Probably the most frustrating thing is that everything seems to be working normally -- the freezer is fine (Except that for some reason, now, it's not making any ice) -- it's just the refrigerator side will only cool down to about 50 degrees. Also, I don't know why it's not making ice cubes now, could this be a symptom of something?
gabe_1981  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2011 9:57:38 AM(UTC)
gabe_1981

Your freezer temp has to be atleast 10 degrees in order for your ice maker to call for water ... Have you gottin a freezer temp reading ... Also your refrigerator has air ducts between the freezer and fresh food side ... Make sure those are clear of any blockage ... Last thing I can think of is your air damper control maybe faulty ... If its stuck in the closed position cold air from your freezer will not circulate to the fresh food side in turn givin you the 50 degree temps
James Hann  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:38:58 PM(UTC)
James Hann

Thanks for the suggestions. The freezer is set on "7" -- 9 being the coldest and 5 is 'normal'. The thermometer reads between 8 and 10 degrees. I'm guessing that it should be colder for this setting. I realize that this is a 'closed system' but could the coolant level be low? (It still isn't making any ice.) Thanks.
James Hann  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2011 8:01:06 AM(UTC)
James Hann

Another thought. I compared the freezed, fresh food temps against another refrigerator unit. The temperatures for the other one are about 10 - 15 degrees cooler for both the freezer side and the fresh food side; even though the setting is actually a little higher. I think this is why it's not making ice. Could some of the coolant leaked out? Could the compressor be bad? I'm looking forward to your suggestions. Thanks.
gabe_1981  
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2011 8:06:54 AM(UTC)
gabe_1981

Between 0 and 10 degrees is optimal temp for your freezer ... It's safe to say your freon levels are not low ... Your ice maker seems to have a different problem all together ... As for the fresh food side optimal temp is 40 degrees ... 50 is too warm ... I may try turning the temp control down but I still think there is a possible air damper failure.
James Hann  
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2011 5:20:22 PM(UTC)
James Hann

I think I found the problem. The evaporator fan was working intermittantly. I replaced it. I should know if this works in a few hours. Thanks for your help.