Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BOSSTOOL  
#11 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2009 11:38:01 AM(UTC)
BOSSTOOL

Groups: Registered

Dear bongobiltmore,

Sorry to hear about that. I bought the part for about $30 to $50 as I recall, and it went in pretty easily, but I got some grease on my hands. The replacement part is now made of aluminum. I came out ok on that one, but I just tried reapairing a dishwasher part that didn't come out so well. Don't feel bad, I ended up buying a new dishwasher and probably would have been better off to have a repair guy come out for that one.

You win some, and you lose some. Thx, for the reply.

Dan
flafix  
#12 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2010 1:32:04 PM(UTC)
flafix

Originally Posted by: warbirdman Go to Quoted Post
I am having the exact same problem you had, I didn't read where anyone responded with a solution. I have removed the unit and have the back panel off. The ram is stuck down, even though the motor and gears appear to turn normally. Any suggestions?

Yes, the drive chain has jumped off. Remove back cover after unplugging cord. Locate the chain laying on top of the ram. Put it back on by putting on small gear first and then rotating the large gear. The problem appears to be caused by the very quick reversal of direction of the motor. Some sort of time delay may be helpful.
flafix  
#13 Posted : Sunday, February 14, 2010 12:00:29 PM(UTC)
flafix

It appears that the chain jumps off really easy, regardless of amount of trash being compacted. To repair you need to get this from Harbor Freight: 8mm Swingarm Spools Item #66925 for about $5
Also the following tools:
Drill
Tap & Die Set
Phillips Screwdriver
Allen set (Metric & SAE)

Unplug the machine. Remove back cover you see small gear & large gear. If no chain is between them take a light and look down underneath on top of the ram, the chain should be laying there intact.

Put the chain on the small gear and partially on the large gear and rotate it until chain is reinstalled. Don't be tempted to let it go at this, it will NOT stay on.

Take one of the 8mm spools and mark through the hole where to drill. The spool should be positioned about half way between the small and large gears and on the outside of the chain with the chain resting in the dip of the spool. Drill and tap to fit the allen screw that came with the spool.
Mount the spool. Now the chain should have slight pressure against it from the spool. Do the same thing on the other side.

The spools should be mounted tightly against the metal frame, not loose to spin. The metal initially feels too thin to tap a thread into but it is marginally ok and I think it will hold without further attention.

After doing this my compactor worked much much better and the chain did not jump off (resulting in what you think is a stuck ram).

Now it's time to figure a rebuild for the drawer front where the bag will not fold over. What a piece of crap.

Originally Posted by: danzenvoyz Go to Quoted Post
I would like some help on how to repair our GE Monogram Trash Compactor. Just suddenly when we turn it on the RAM got stuck and wont go up and until now, its been a week and still ram stuck. Afraid that food and trash inside might cause health problem. I tried pulling it out and starting it over again but it didnt work it only opens about 2 inches and you can see the RAM still down sort of stuck. What do I do. How can I disassemble it or have it working again