Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dealmaster  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2010 3:21:06 PM(UTC)
dealmaster

Groups: Registered

Our microwave little over 5 years has stopped heating food. In addition it makes a cracking noise while trying to heat. The display control panel works fine, including the vent fan. The fan is normal when it is operated alone. When trying to heat the fan is loud too.

Any thoughts on what could be wrong ?

TIA
-DM
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

nneysari  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 16, 2010 10:57:06 AM(UTC)
nneysari

Hi, I am having the same issue with my GE microwave, According to what I have read so far, It could be three parts,
1- Magnetron
2- Capacitor
3- High voltage diode.
I have replaced the magnetron ($130.00) it did not fix the problem.
I just ordered the other two parts, Whichever part fixes the problem I will keep and return the ones I don't need.
Hope this helps.
Good Luck.
dealmaster  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 17, 2010 5:46:20 PM(UTC)
dealmaster

nneysari,

It looks like either the diode or capacitor. I wanted to test these components using a multi meter before buying either of these parts. Waiting for the multimeter to arrive in mail. BTW, if your microwave is less than 10 years old the magnetron is covered by GE warranty. What is your model number ?

Also, I am not able to open the control panel to get to the capacitor and diode in my microwave. Once I test and conclude those components as defective..I will worry about opening the control panel.

Do you know where I may be able to find instructions to open the control panel ?

Thanks
DM
GE_Appliances  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 20, 2010 11:38:09 AM(UTC)
GE_Appliances

Hi, This is Vikki with GE. If you are not trained to work on microwave ovens I must caution you against trying to do so. Microwaves unlike other kitchen appliances contain parts that retain voltage even when the unit is unplugged. This could make for a very dangerous situation for the average do-it-yourselfer.
dealmaster  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 20, 2010 11:51:53 AM(UTC)
dealmaster

Originally Posted by: GE_Appliances Go to Quoted Post
Hi, This is Vikki with GE. If you are not trained to work on microwave ovens I must caution you against trying to do so. Microwaves unlike other kitchen appliances contain parts that retain voltage even when the unit is unplugged. This could make for a very dangerous situation for the average do-it-yourselfer.

From what I have understood so far, if you have your unit UNPLUGGED and capacitor discharged by one of the following ways:
. which should happen in 30 secs as per GE internal wiring diagram or
. you can short the terminals of the capacitor using a screwdriver (may generate some sparks) .. search on youtube on how to do this...
it is pretty much safe to open the microwave and replace parts.
QED.
dealmaster  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 21, 2010 7:54:10 AM(UTC)
dealmaster

Don,

Thanks for your reply. I have tested the diode and capacitor..The diode is the culprit. It shows open in both the direction. Waiting for a generic diode to arrive by mail. Also, the microwave I have has a flow chart to trouble shoot the connections and your description kind of matches the flow chart. And, I guess that is what the tech uses when they come in to troubleshoot.

Thanks Again
dealmaster  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 21, 2010 8:02:10 AM(UTC)
dealmaster

copying the text from different thread...posted by magician59

First, disconnect the power and discharge the capacitor by shorting across the terminals.You'll need to see if the main circuit board is sending 120VAC to the power transformer. To do this, first disconnect the output from the transformer to the capacitor. Select a cooking cycle and start it. If you don't get 120VAC to the transformer, the problem is in the control board. Be very careful: You're sticking hands and instruments in the proximity of lethal voltage!If you DO find the correct voltage; since you have already replaced the other major high-voltage components, the transformer is the next logical replacement.

Read more: http://forum.appliancepartspros...lease.html#ixzz130elJHro