Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
M Yaworski  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, July 19, 2017 6:19:36 PM(UTC)
M Yaworski

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: brobriffin Go to Quoted Post
Perhaps you have a friend, or relative that has a meter to check it out.

Most of my friends believe that electricity is magic.
M Yaworski  
#12 Posted : Sunday, July 23, 2017 6:40:50 AM(UTC)
M Yaworski

I got a new "Whirlpool Certified" capacitor and installed it. Nothing happened. The timer hums but no pumping or spinning or agitating.

I have another new timer on the way to eliminate the possibility of having gotten a bad timer the first time around.

It does appear that it is nearly impossible to install the timer incorrectly or attaching the wiring connectors incorrectly.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
brobriffin  
#13 Posted : Monday, July 24, 2017 5:38:06 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

In reading back thru the thread one thing I didn't pick up on was that we have never addressed the lid switch. Have you checked the lid switch?
It may even sound as if it is clicking but if the switch housing has separated it won't work.
Some models won't go into spin mode via the lid switch others won't spin or agitate. Not sure which yours is but its worth a look.
take the switch out and see if it has separated. If so you can repair this with a couple of good strong zip ties.

Something to try while waiting for the timer.
ErnieRay  
#14 Posted : Monday, July 24, 2017 5:50:01 AM(UTC)
ErnieRay

Something is hung in the pump.
M Yaworski  
#15 Posted : Monday, July 24, 2017 10:20:03 AM(UTC)
M Yaworski

Originally Posted by: brobriffin Go to Quoted Post
In reading back thru the thread one thing I didn't pick up on was that we have never addressed the lid switch. Have you checked the lid switch?

I have checked the lid switch. Continuity when pushed down, open when released. Also, my machine will agitate when the lid is open.

Originally Posted by: ErnieRay Go to Quoted Post
Something is hung in the pump.

Okay, color me confused. How would a jammed pump keep the machine from agitating?

I realize that it is the same motor but I assumed that the pump would disengage when not needed. Does the pump turn continuously while the machine agitates and water gets pumped when valves open to let water through?

One more pump related question. The washer's tub is currently half full of water. If I pull the pump out, will that water come rushing out?

Thanks.
ErnieRay  
#16 Posted : Monday, July 24, 2017 3:34:18 PM(UTC)
ErnieRay

If this is a fairly new washer it's probably made by Whirlpool. If so the pump will be fastened to the front of the motor with two clips. If something (like a sock) gets hung in the pump it won't be able to turn, hence the motor won't be able to turn. So no agitation or spin. 34
M Yaworski  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, July 25, 2017 4:58:37 AM(UTC)
M Yaworski

It isn't all that new but it was made by Whirlpool. The pump and motor are as you describe.

This might be a silly question, but how can a sock get out of the tub and down into the pump?
ErnieRay  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, July 25, 2017 5:19:53 AM(UTC)
ErnieRay

A small sock (such as a toddler's) , maybe a big load, can be thrown, by centrifugal force when in spin cycle over the edge of the basket and fall between the basket and tub, ending up in the drain hole that exits out of the tub to the pump.
brobriffin  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, July 26, 2017 4:27:57 PM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

If the new timer arrives and you have the same problem then the final solution would be to check the wiring. Something is preventing the power from getting to the start windings on the motor. Check to see if the red wire leading from the capacitor to the motor terminal has continuity. I have had times where the red wire has broken off right as it enters the terminal and needs to be repaired.

I am going to create a video based on this problem as I had a repair job today with this same issue.
The capacitor was ok
Nothing hanging up the pump from turning
The motor start windings ohmed out at 7.8
the primary windings ohmed at 1.2
the motor turn by hand freely
the timer was working properly
then I found the broken wire
M Yaworski  
#20 Posted : Thursday, July 27, 2017 3:27:08 PM(UTC)
M Yaworski

Still waiting on the timer so I decided to look at the pump.

Used my drill powered pump to pump the water out of the tub. Pulled the cabinet off. Detached the pump from the motor and found that it turned freely. The motor shaft turns freely as well.

So I got the big pliers and squeezed the hose clamp to pull the hoses off the pump. Ooops. A ton of water came out. After I mopped up the water, I looked into the pump and didn't see a thing. Well, other than the pump impeller and it turned freely.

Put everything back together.

I'm really getting the hang of taking this washer apart quickly.