Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jake53  
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2014 9:39:51 AM(UTC)
Jake53

Groups: Registered

Hi Eric, The temp at the rear of dryer with the vent removed is 113 degrees with clothes in the dryer completely dry and 108 degrees when the dyer runs empty. I also have readings for Orange and Blue wire to ground with burner off and on.
Org= with burner off 250mvac-270mvac, with burner on 14mvac-231mvac.
Blue= with burner off 21.0mvac, with burner on 23.8 Volts AC.
There is plenty of air flow out then vent. Timer still doesn't advance in either Auto modes. Thanks for hanging in there with me.....jake53
fairbank56  
#12 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2014 11:42:04 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Not making any sense. You should have 120vac at timer BU terminal. Input to timer is at BK terminal. You should have 120vac there. Power goes through timer contact to PK terminal and through another contact to BU terminal. You should have 120vac at each with timer on. Maybe your not getting good ground with meter probe. Use neutral instead at timer RD terminal. Exhaust temp is too low. The cycling thermostat won't switch until temp gets to 150°. Voltage at OR is to be checked when burner cycles off via switching of cycling thermostat, not just when burner off. i.e., temp must get over 150° to make cycling thermostat switch. At that point, power is directed to timer motor vice ignitor and gas coils.

Eric
Jake53  
#13 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:06:33 PM(UTC)
Jake53

Ok Eric, you were correct, a bad choice of grounds on my part. I switched from the ground screw on the dryer and used the ground terminal directly on the timer. Here are my results. OR to ground when burner on = 0.9vac with burner off 115vac. BU to ground with burner on = 115vac. BK to ground = 114vac with burner on. BK and BU to neutral RD = 111vac with burner on. What a difference a good ground makes...I should of known that. Also, I took a better temperature reading and the dryer reaches 150-155 degrees. Lastly, the timer does tick and move in the Auto mode but only when it is set to the closing minutes of the cycle. I don't know if that is significant or not. Where to from here? Thanks again, jake53
fairbank56  
#14 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 7:18:02 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Notice that the OR terminal on timer has an orange wire that comes from the cycling thermostat and a wire to the timer motor. When cycling thermostat cycles the burner off it applies 120vac to orange wire which you say you are getting at OR terminal. That means you have 120vac across timer motor. Timer motor should be advancing timer. When cycling thermostat cycles burner back on, power is removed from orange wire and timer will stop. At end of auto-dry cycle power is applied to timer motor continuously via internal timer contact so timer will advance regardless of cycling thermostat. Don't know what else to suggest. If burner is cycling properly, and your seeing that at timer OR terminal, but timer won't advance, then perhaps the timer is faulty.

Eric
Jake53  
#15 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 10:07:53 AM(UTC)
Jake53

Sounds like sound reasoning to me Eric. I have placed a hardware store home timer between the wall receptacle and dryer for now. I will consider spending the $100.00 for a new timer. This $8.00 timer is "doing the trick" for now. If I decide to replace the dryer timer I will let you know the results, just out of courtesy, you deserve to know, you have been a great help. Should you happen to think of something else don't hesitate to inform me.
Thanks again, you are a real gentleman.

jake53
fairbank56  
#16 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 11:27:04 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Why not just use the timed dry function of the timer? The heat still cycles to maintain proper temperature. The only difference is that in timed dry, the timer runs continuously til end of cycle. Remember, if you buy the timer from APP and it doesn't fix the problem, you may return it.

Whirlpool 33001631 Timer - AppliancePartsPros.com

Eric
Jake53  
#17 Posted : Saturday, January 25, 2014 12:55:00 PM(UTC)
Jake53

That's interesting, I didn't know about that return policy. I will consider that. I will also see my wife will just use the time dry cycle. Thanks again.

jake53