Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dartros  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2011 10:21:59 AM(UTC)
dartros

Groups: Registered

First noticed leakage from left corner of door. Now, when I open the door to place an additional item after the cycle has started, water pours out from between the door and the tub. Searched the internet and saw recommendations to replace the door seal. Would a broken door seal allow for that much leakage when the door is opened? How about replacing the air inlet? I noticed it has a small rubberized piece attatched that appears to possibly block water as well? Any other suggestions? We have already had the motor and sump replaced a few years ago by a service repairman. Not sure if we want to sink money into new parts that may not work!?!! We have also recently replaced our garbage disposal, and did remove the plug for the disposal to diswasher conection. Would that have anything to do with it as well? We have not noticed any leakage from the hoses for that conection. Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2011 12:18:45 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I cannot say for sure but it sounds like the unit is over filling.

This could be because it is not draining correctly due to something to do with the new garbage disposal. Just a guess.

Before you start a cycle check that the unit is completely empty.
If not run another drain cycle.
Now let it fill and check the water level and see if it leaks.
If OK let the cycle continue and check it again after the second fill.
If it now leaks or the level is higher then it is probably not draining correctly during the cycle.

The final drain is usually longer than the drains during the cycle.

The overflow float and switch should have prevented this.
Check that the float moves up and down easily.
When it is filling manually raise the float shaft so the switch deactivates. the fill should stop.

Check that the dishwasher is level front to back.
Also that it does not tip forward when the door is opened.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
dartros  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 9, 2011 6:48:39 AM(UTC)
dartros

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
I cannot say for sure but it sounds like the unit is over filling.

This could be because it is not draining correctly due to something to do with the new garbage disposal. Just a guess.

Before you start a cycle check that the unit is completely empty.
If not run another drain cycle.
Now let it fill and check the water level and see if it leaks.
If OK let the cycle continue and check it again after the second fill.
If it now leaks or the level is higher then it is probably not draining correctly during the cycle.

The final drain is usually longer than the drains during the cycle.

The overflow float and switch should have prevented this.
Check that the float moves up and down easily.
When it is filling manually raise the float shaft so the switch deactivates. the fill should stop.

Check that the dishwasher is level front to back.
Also that it does not tip forward when the door is opened.

The dishwasher does completely empty when I press cancel and there has not been any water left standing in the bottom. I can look down through the garbage disposal from the kitchen and see the water draining from the dishwasher, so that would lead me to believe the new garbage disposal is fine.???

I replaced the door gasket yesterday. No difference.

The overflow float is moving up and down easily and I hear it click, but the dishwasher is indeed overfilling. Should I then try replacing the overflow float and switch? If so, could you tell me the part numbers? Would there be any other causes related to the garbage disposal for the dishwasher to overfill? Is there any other parts I would need to check?

The dishwasher is level.
Thanks!
denman  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 10, 2011 1:45:59 AM(UTC)
denman

Here are the parts
Replacement parts for KENMORE 66517579201 | AppliancePartsPros.com

If you go to the Sears parts site they should have part breakdown sheets which they like to keep to themselves.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Should I then try replacing the overflow float and switch?[/COLOR]
Start a wash cycle and when it is filling raise the float to deactivate tyhe switch from under the unit. If the unit stops filling then I would say that the float and switch are OK. If not I would replace the switch.

To eliminate the disposal as a possible cause, remove the drain hose at the disposal and let it drain into a pail. Be sure to hold the hose securely and put a towel over the pail so it does not splash all over. Then run a cycle to see if it drains properly during the in cycle drains.
If still n o good the there is probably a partially clogged filter in the unit or a problem with the impeller.

Is the drain hose looped up at least a foot higher than where the hose enters the disposal. Could be it is siphoning water back out of the disposal.
Here is a good install sheet which shows this.
http://products.geappliances.com/MarketingObjectRetrieval/Dispatcher?RequestType=PDF&Name=31-30515.pdf
dartros  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2011 1:23:35 PM(UTC)
dartros

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Here are the parts
Replacement parts for KENMORE 66517579201 | AppliancePartsPros.com

If you go to the Sears parts site they should have part breakdown sheets which they like to keep to themselves.

Should I then try replacing the overflow float and switch?
Start a wash cycle and when it is filling raise the float to deactivate tyhe switch from under the unit. If the unit stops filling then I would say that the float and switch are OK. If not I would replace the switch.

To eliminate the disposal as a possible cause, remove the drain hose at the disposal and let it drain into a pail. Be sure to hold the hose securely and put a towel over the pail so it does not splash all over. Then run a cycle to see if it drains properly during the in cycle drains.
If still n o good the there is probably a partially clogged filter in the unit or a problem with the impeller.

Is the drain hose looped up at least a foot higher than where the hose enters the disposal. Could be it is siphoning water back out of the disposal.
Here is a good install sheet which shows this.
http://products.geapplia...DF&Name=31-30515.pdf

Replaced the overflow float switch. The unit is still overfilling. Infact, the incoming water does not shut off when I open the door. I get it to shut off before it overflows by pressing cancel/drain and then it completely drains. Does that mean it's something with the control panel?

Don't think it is the way the hose is looped, but appreciate the pictures.

What next? Thanks!
denman  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 16, 2011 12:58:05 AM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Does that mean it's something with the control panel?[/COLOR]
That would be my conclusion.
Very strange problem but the board seems to be holding the valve open for too long.
ctlaughlin  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 8:42:36 AM(UTC)
ctlaughlin

Before you spend any time and money to replace anything, check the steam vent grill on the inside of the door on the top left side. The plastic grill can be pried out gently with a screw driver. Behind the grill there may be a build-up of gunk and dirt, blocking the port. Clean it and the backside of the grill with the screwdriver and a paper towel, and reinsert the grill. The port is designed to let the steam out of the dishwasher. If it gets plugged, pressure builds up inside the dishwasher, and water leaks out somehow (don't know what path it takes) and drips/flows from the bottom left side of the door. I had this problem yesterday and found this solution on another forum site. I had a considerable flow out of mine. After cleaning I had no leakage.
addunlap  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 16, 2013 12:46:20 PM(UTC)
addunlap

Oh my goodness, this was the answer to my leaky kenmore dishwasher. When I took the plastic grill off, there was so much gunk buildup I couldn't believe it. I have cleaned everything and put the vent cover back on, started the wash cycle (where it would instantly leak out the bottom of the door when started) and it is not leaking now. Thank you so much.
ctlaughlin  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2013 10:03:48 AM(UTC)
ctlaughlin

Originally Posted by: addunlap Go to Quoted Post
Oh my goodness, this was the answer to my leaky kenmore dishwasher. When I took the plastic grill off, there was so much gunk buildup I couldn't believe it. I have cleaned everything and put the vent cover back on, started the wash cycle (where it would instantly leak out the bottom of the door when started) and it is not leaking now. Thank you so much.

Glad to help!