Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Simon / APP Team  
#11 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 9:55:57 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

Remove the rear panel in the freezer and check how the evaporator coils are covered with frost.
Is it covered completely, partially(1/2,1/3), or just the ice in one corner?

Check if both fans are running ( one in the freezer and another one near the compressor).

Post the results.

Simon.
pdl2  
#12 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 10:08:18 AM(UTC)
pdl2

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: Simon / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Hi.

Remove the rear panel in the freezer and check how the evaporator coils are covered with frost.
Is it covered completely, partially(1/2,1/3), or just the ice in one corner?

Check if both fans are running ( one in the freezer and another one near the compressor).

Post the results.

Simon.

I know the freezer fan is running. I will have to wait till after work to check the evaporator coils. Do i need to remove the whole panel off of the back of the refrigerator to see the coils? would they still be frozen after this long being turned off? I wont be able to check till 5:00 EST. Will you still be on then? If they are frozen is that good or bad?

thanks,
pdl2
Simon / APP Team  
#13 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 10:15:25 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

The fridge has to be on for at least 3 -4 hrs. You will need to take out the panel inside the freezer to see the coils.

Simon.
pdl2  
#14 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 2:40:47 PM(UTC)
pdl2

In which of those scenarios do I give up? which one is salvagealbe? It does not appear to be frosting at all. ) 2 hours
pdl2  
#15 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 2:44:42 PM(UTC)
pdl2

I took off the back panel before I turned it on. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. So the panel is off, while Im waiting to see if it frosts up
Simon / APP Team  
#16 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 3:28:13 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

The fridge has to be on for at least 3 -4 hrs. You will need to take out the panel inside the freezer to see the coils.

Simon.

Close the cover, let it run for 2hrs, then check.

If the coils are not covered with frost after being running for 2 hrs it's a sealed system problem. That is expensive and requires a professional assistance.

Simon.
pdl2  
#17 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 5:17:40 PM(UTC)
pdl2

just got your message. it does seem a lot cooler then the other day, but i dont see any frost. of course the cover is off. the refrigerator does seem warmer then normal though. I put the cover back on and will try it out. what temp should the freezer be? refrigerator?? if it does start working, i hope its not just fluke. if it is working, should i trust it? what caused to to not work and now start working again???

thanks
pdl2
pdl2  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 3:10:01 AM(UTC)
pdl2

Checked the coils at 3.25 hours. I guess I would say they were 1/2 frosted, but it wasnt uniform. I mean it wasnt like 50/50 left & right. top coil & bottom coil was more frosted. also more frosted on the left side. maybe i should recheck this evening after 24 hours. freezer temp is 0 degrees on setting 7 of 9. bottom shelf refrigerator temp is 40 degrees this morning on setting 8 of 9. temps from a meat thermometer, as that is all i could find at local grocery store. can get regular thermometer today from walmart/lowes, if you recommend, as i have to restock my refrigerator. what are normal temp ranges? so i guess im wondering if i can trust it now. I appreciate all of your help. sorry for my ignorance. can you explain what happened? i was afraid with the freezer door being open ( 12-18 hours ??) that the compressor had burned up.

thanks
pdl2
Simon / APP Team  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 8:28:24 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Hi.

Close the freezer panel and wait for 24 hrs. The temperature in the freezer should be around 0F* and in the refrigerator 37-40F*.With freezer door open for that many hours the compressor worked much harder, warm air was getting inside the freezer building ice and snow inside, blocking the airways between two compartments.
That's why the defrosting was necessary.Hopefully nothing serious happens.

Simon.
pdl2  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 8:32:32 AM(UTC)
pdl2

Hi.

Close the freezer panel and wait for 24 hrs. The temperature in the freezer should be around 0F* and in the refrigerator 37-40F*.With freezer door open for that many hours the compressor worked much harder, warm air was getting inside the freezer building ice and snow inside, blocking the airways between two compartments.
That's why the defrosting was necessary.Hopefully nothing serious happens.

Simon.

Something serious like ???? For now, do you think everything is ok with it ? Wife wants to go get a new refrigerator. What top freezer brands are best?