Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

207 Pages«<182183184185186>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Wesley426  
#1831 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 2:34:23 PM(UTC)
Wesley426

Groups: Registered

Thanks for the reply Gene.

Do you think the light was the entire problem? What about the damper issue? Does the damper not open when it thinks the door is open?
Gene  
#1832 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 2:40:27 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Wesley426 Go to Quoted Post
...Does the damper not open when it thinks the door is open?...

Yes, it will stay closed.

Gene.
Wesley426  
#1833 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 3:14:07 PM(UTC)
Wesley426

Thanks again. Ill get a new cam follower and adjust the door.
Gene  
#1834 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 5:30:27 PM(UTC)
Gene

You are welcome. Keep us posted.

Gene.
MiaDramaQueen  
#1835 Posted : Sunday, February 3, 2013 5:17:05 PM(UTC)
MiaDramaQueen

Hi Gene, I have spent most of the night and day reading this thread. I have a 2004 GE side by side fridge/freezer. Model #GSS22WGPDBB. I noticed yesterday my fridge was warm but freezer was cold. I checked seals and made sure there were no blockages preventing air flow both were fine. I turned temp setting to highest setting and kept the doors closed. 10 hours later no change. At first I thought it was the diffuser (damper) because I noticed that no cold air was coming into the fridge. But it did feel a bit colder at the bottom of the fridge than the top- it still wasn't as cold as it usually is just a bit colder than the top... not sure if this means anything but I thought I should mention it. I noticed that the diffuser (damper) doors were constantly opening and closing (once every minute or so) even though the fridge was still warm. From what I read in other posts those doors should stay open until the fridge reaches proper temperature. Not sure if that is true. I read posts were people forced the doors to stay open (as a temp fix until they got a new damper) so based on that I put a stick between the doors and it stayed open. 6 hours later the fridge was basically the same as it was before- but now the icecream in the freezer had softened. I immediately took the stick out- figuring I was losing the cold from the freezer in to the very warm fridge. I waited and re-read your thread and based on it, I decided to empty the freezer and check the evaporator coils. I took off the back panel inside the freezer and sure enough they were filled with frost- completely frozen. I searched for the defrost timer but after an extensive search I dont think mine is where you suggested- based on searches I think my fridge might have it as part of the motherboard? My fridge isn't very high tech- but the temp settings are digital. Since I was not able to find it I just unplugged the fridge and I am now letting it defrost on its own with the doors open. Note: I did check the evaporator fan and condenser fan both turn on no problem. Based on the frozen coils in the freezer, what do you think the problem is? I am ready to order the defrost heater ($29) and defrost thermostat ($8) and just replace them both. I don't have a meter to check them and I figure rather than buying one I could just buy the parts since it is likely that it is one of these that has gone bad. Right? What is your opinion? Should I do something else prior to buying these parts? Do you think it is best to buy a meter? Is it possible it is my defrost timer? If so, if my defrost timer is in the motherboard does that mean I have to call for service repair or can I do this myself? Should I replace the diffuser as well? Also I keep reading about a thermister but I can't seem to find it on the parts diagram - where is it and should I replace that as well?
Gene  
#1836 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2013 4:21:29 PM(UTC)
Gene

Hello,

I believe the best way is to buy a simple multimeter (less than $20) and perform some tests instead of throwing money on parts. Very possible that you'll use that meter in some troubleshooting later.

The tests are very simple. You can find the instructions on third page of this thread, in the post addressed to bohemian.

- The main control board Part number: WR55X10942
Part number: WR55X10942

- The defrost heater kit Part number: WR51X10101
Part number: WR51X10101

- The thermistor (they all are identical) Part number: WR55X10025
Part number: WR55X10025

- The overtemperature thermostat Part number: WR50X10068
tfrink  
#1837 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 7:33:14 AM(UTC)
tfrink

hi. i have a GE model GSH22JSTCSS with the problem described: freezer cold, fridge warm, no air circulation. there was frost on the back panel, i removed it and the coils are frozen over. before i start worrying about the defrost heater and/or motherboard (appears i have no defrost timer on this fridge), i did notice the top vent in the freezer had gotten covered. could this blockage have caused the frosting up of the coils, or is it definitely the defrost system?
Gene  
#1838 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:38:52 PM(UTC)
Gene

Does the fan in the freezer work?

Gene.
tfrink  
#1839 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 6:11:57 PM(UTC)
tfrink

yes, the fan works. i manually defrosted the coils, and can feel the air going in to the fridge now. but they were completely iced over. i figure it is probably one of the 2 things you mentioned, but was hoping it might magically fix itself after i moved the box that wound up on top of the output vent.
phillb  
#1840 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 5:21:50 AM(UTC)
phillb

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Same problem - cold freezer, warm refrigerator. I've replaced the damper assembly and the thermostat. I don't see any ice buildup on the coils or in the freezer. Compressor coils ar fairly clean. I can get the refrigerator plenty cold enough if I detach the control panel from the ceiling and let it hang down. This removes the damper, which seems to be working, from the airflow from the freezer. This is the only way I can get the refrigerator cool enough. If I reattach the control panel, the refrigerator warms up to about 40-45F and the freezer to about 20F. The compressor seem to be able to get things very cold, but I’m not sure it cycles properly even though I’ve replaced the thermostat. Also, I cannot locate the air return duct to check it. Thanks.[/FONT]