Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

207 Pages«<168169170171172>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Simon / APP Team  
#1691 Posted : Monday, July 30, 2012 12:34:45 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

What is the brand and model number of the unit?

Simon.
Gene A. Rhodes  
#1692 Posted : Friday, August 3, 2012 11:15:10 AM(UTC)
Gene A. Rhodes

Groups: Registered

Fan in top refrig does now seem to b blowing cold air from freezer
Gene  
#1693 Posted : Friday, August 3, 2012 2:21:53 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Gene,

What is the complete model number of the refrigerator?

Gene.
mw2425  
#1694 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2012 10:25:27 AM(UTC)
mw2425

I am having this problem (freezer seems to work but refrigerator compartment is warm). I have an amana refrigerator, with french doors and a bottom freezer.

Model AFD2535DES
S/N 11489242GJ

I am going to try Gene's steps tonight when I get home from work. Just wondering if anyone knows of a common cause for the problem with this model of refrigerator or has any other advice.

Thanks,

Mike

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
In this post we will talk about one of the most common problems with your kitchen refrigerator – the freezer looks fine but the refrigerator part is warm.

Before we go further let me explain the basic performance of the refrigerator.

Your refrigerator could be made by Whirlpool, GE, Frigidaire or Maytag – it does not matter.

The cooling coil (aka evaporator coil) is located in the freezer behind the back panel.

The evaporator fan is distributing the cold air through the cooling coil into the freezer and, through the damper control, into the refrigerator, causing the refrigerator to cool down as well.

If anything goes wrong with the cooling coil in the freezer, wrong temperature in the refrigerator is more visible and gets your attention first due to a very big temperature difference in the freezer (normally -5°F to 6°F) and refrigerator (36°F to 40°F).

So the problem as it looks to you is: the freezer is fine but the refrigerator is warm.

Well, the cause of this problem could be very different and now we will go over the first one – a faulty defrost system.

As the evaporator coil cools down, the frost builds up on the coil.
If it does not defrost periodically then the excess frost will block the air flow though the cooling coil, affecting proper distribution of the cold air and causing an increase in the temperature (the fresh food compartment first).

The classic defrost system (we are not talking now about refrigerators operated by electronic devices) consists of three parts: the defrost timer which calls for defrost on certain time intervals, the defrost heater which should melt the frost and the defrost thermostat which senses the cooling coil temperature and operates with the electric current to the defrost heater.

The first and most important sign of a faulty defrost system is a frost build up on the back panel in the freezer.

How to find out which part of the defrost system is bad?

Based on my own experience, I would recommend the following procedure:

1). Locate the name plate with the model number of the refrigerator.

2). Type the model number in the search box, click the “search” button and you will be directed to the break down diagrams.

3). Using the break down diagrams, locate the defrost timer.

4). Using a flat screwdriver, slowly turn the shaft in the middle of the defrost timer clock wise until it clicks to switch from the cooling cycle to the defrost cycle.

5). Wait about 10 to 15 minutes, open the freezer door and see if you can hear a sizzling noise. If you can, then the problem is the defrost timer which has to be replaced.

If there is no such noise, go to the next step…

DO NOT FORGET TO UNPLUG THE REFRIGERATOR!

6). Remove the back panel in the freezer, unplug at least one wire on the defrost heater (you can locate it using the break down diagram) and check continuity across the defrost heater wires.

If it’s open, the defrost heater is bad and has to be replaced.

If it has some resistance, then the problem is the defrost thermostat.

You can check the defrost thermostat continuity only if it’s frozen because if it’s warm, it should be normally open.

Best regards.
Gene.
JABIII  
#1695 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2012 12:28:11 PM(UTC)
JABIII

Hi guys,

I have a Whirlpool mod. ET20DKXTN10 with a defrost problem that I can't figure out. I've tested the heater and thermostat according to Gene's fine tutorial, but still have some questions.

When I checked the thermostat I got no continuity while frozen in a block of ice. So I went to buy ney and the technician said it was to be closed when it was warm not cold, so I came home and checked it warm, no continuity.

My 1st question is. The tutorial says the opposite of what the technician, which one is correct??
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I checked the heater I also got no continuity, so I bought a used
one and it had no continuity either, but it gets too hot to touch. What's up with that???

I know you are probably thinking faulty meter, but when I touch the two probes together I get a BEEEEP.

2nd question. How can all this be.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The timer seems to be working fine I stuck a piece of paper into the slot where you turn it on manually and it is turning.

As I'm writing this I have it running and it seems to be working, it has gone through two manual defrost cycles so far, and I'm going to let it run for a few days and see what happens, but I would still like answers to the questions.

Also, if someone could explain how the cooling and defrost cycle is supposed to work it may help a lot. (IE the sequence of events and how the defrost components make the cycle work....)

Thanks,
Jake :rolleyes:
Gene  
#1696 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2012 3:34:00 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: mw2425 Go to Quoted Post
I am having this problem (freezer seems to work but refrigerator compartment is warm). I have an amana refrigerator, with french doors and a bottom freezer.

Model AFD2535DES
S/N 11489242GJ

I am going to try Gene's steps tonight when I get home from work. Just wondering if anyone knows of a common cause for the problem with this model of refrigerator or has any other advice.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,

There is no defrost timer in your refrigerator. Defrost cycles controls by the control board inside the refrigerator (#5 at the diagram). Check the defrost heater and the defrost thermostat for continuity and, if there is nothing wrong, replace that control board.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for Amana AFD2535DES REF - BOTTOM MOUNTS | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
Gene  
#1697 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2012 3:37:30 PM(UTC)
Gene

Hi Jake,

What kind of meter did you use? How did you set it prior to run the tests?

Gene.
JABIII  
#1698 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2012 4:08:53 PM(UTC)
JABIII

Hello Gene,

I used a Radio Shack 22-178 Digital Multimeter. Set on continuity check. Here is a link to the manual, see page 29

http://support.radioshac...t_meters/doc62/62268.pdf
Gene  
#1699 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2012 4:18:32 PM(UTC)
Gene

Jake,

Did you remove the wires from the defrost thermostat and the defrost heater prior to test them?

Gene.
JABIII  
#1700 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2012 4:20:49 PM(UTC)
JABIII

Gene,

Yes, I had them out of the unit and froze the thermostat in a block of water.