Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

207 Pages«<163164165166167>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lenny_Lucky  
#1641 Posted : Friday, June 29, 2012 5:34:17 PM(UTC)
Lenny_Lucky

Groups: Registered

Hi Gene,
At the present time, I still do have the back inside panel off on the freezer side. The temps are 58 degrees on the fridge side and 24 on the freezer side. Do I need to do the manual defrost again and make sure all covers are in place and check in 24 hrs? Will the inside cover missing help direct the air flow enough to make up that big of a difference in temperature?

Bruce
Gene  
#1642 Posted : Friday, June 29, 2012 9:57:01 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Bruce,

If the air flow through the coils is blocked then it's better to defrost it, using a hair dryer. As soon as you done with it, put the panel back in place and wait 24 hours to check the temperature.

Gene.
broderp  
#1643 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2012 6:20:41 PM(UTC)
broderp

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
In this post ........The classic defrost system (we are not talking now about refrigerators operated by electronic devices) consists of three parts: the defrost timer which calls for defrost on certain time intervals, the defrost heater which should melt the frost and the defrost thermostat which senses the cooling coil temperature and operates with the electric current to the defrost heater..........

Best regards.
Gene.

Is there a sticky or link for those of us with electronic devices? :confused:

Thank you
boyer_35  
#1644 Posted : Sunday, July 1, 2012 12:36:10 PM(UTC)
boyer_35

I have a whirlpool GX5SHDXVQ the freezer seem to be fine but not getting any air flow in the fridge. Check to see if there was frost in the freezer vents and it was completely frosted over. Used a hair dryer to dethaw the vents and now getting cold air into the fridge. Does this point to a heater issue? How would I verify?
Lenny_Lucky  
#1645 Posted : Sunday, July 1, 2012 12:47:53 PM(UTC)
Lenny_Lucky

Hi Gene--

Following up on my Kenmore refrigerator with you. I defrosted again and put back cover back on. After 24 hours I'm seeing swings in my temps, but I don't know what is normal during defrost cycle. With both compartments empty, I'm seeing freezer temps from 14-22, and fridge 34-47. This morning was the lowest temps, and we're not leaving the doors open to check, just barely peaking to record the temp. Now I'm not using "official" fridge thermometers if that matters. My digital thermometer was in freezer and it said "off" at one point, which I thought it might not measure under zero, but don't really know. What do you think we should check next? Thanks so much.

Bruce
Gene  
#1646 Posted : Monday, July 2, 2012 11:41:54 AM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: broderp Go to Quoted Post
Is there a sticky or link for those of us with electronic devices? :confused:

Thank you

There are no such thread because there are a lot of different models with electronic devices. The easiest way to diagnose them is to check for continuity the defrost heater and the defrost thermostat and, if they are good, just replace the control board.

Gene.
Gene  
#1647 Posted : Monday, July 2, 2012 11:45:32 AM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: boyer_35 Go to Quoted Post
I have a whirlpool GX5SHDXVQ the freezer seem to be fine but not getting any air flow in the fridge. Check to see if there was frost in the freezer vents and it was completely frosted over. Used a hair dryer to dethaw the vents and now getting cold air into the fridge. Does this point to a heater issue? How would I verify?

It does point to a faulty defrost system. You have to perform the troubleshooting in order to determine which part exactly is bad.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for Whirlpool GX5SHDXVQ00 REFRIGERATOR | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
Gene  
#1648 Posted : Monday, July 2, 2012 11:52:59 AM(UTC)
Gene

Hi Bruce,

The best way to monitor the refrigerator temperatures is to use a simple refrigerator thermometer like the one showed on the following picture. We do need the exact measured temperatures in both compartments to evaluate the refrigerator performance.

How did you set the temperature controls?

- The refrigerator thermometer Part number: FG80K
Part number: FG80K

Gene.
broderp  
#1649 Posted : Monday, July 2, 2012 1:40:08 PM(UTC)
broderp

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
There are no such thread because there are a lot of different models with electronic devices. The easiest way to diagnose them is to check for continuity the defrost heater and the defrost thermostat and, if they are good, just replace the control board.

Gene.

Thanks for the info. That is actually VERY helpful.

If even what you replied to me were to put in the sticky, would have saved me (and maybe a few others ;) ) from searching in vane for a guide on troubleshooting the newer elecronic controls.

Also a basic overview of how these system operate would be very helpful. (State parts in the system and what they do or thier part in the defrost cycle.) ie....evaporator, thermostat, and sensors and other input devices that the main board use to determine defrost cycle or to control the defrost element.
Lenny_Lucky  
#1650 Posted : Tuesday, July 3, 2012 4:10:26 AM(UTC)
Lenny_Lucky

Gene,

We picked up fridge thermometers. Settings are on the initial setting for both fridge and freezer. This morning the refrigerator reading is 42, and the freezer is 18. Last night after them being in for a few hours the temps ranged from 40-50 for fridge and 15-32 for freezer. Both were opened several times but not for extensive periods. Do you think I should try and turn up settings to see if our Oklahoma humidity is affecting it, or do these fluctuations point to another problem? Thanks for much for your time and input. I really do appreciate it.

Bruce