Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

207 Pages«<161162163164165>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NascarFan24  
#1621 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2012 5:21:30 PM(UTC)
NascarFan24

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
Does the evaporator fan stop or just the air is not circulating with the freezer door closed?

Gene.

Gene,I'm having a problem receving your posts to me ? I keep getting notices from other people. I also did a search of myself to see if any of your anwers were there. Nothing showed up. I did a reply to your questions but that's when I stopped getting a reply ? Help !:confused:

Thank, Nascarfan (Nancy)
on_mitch  
#1622 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2012 5:26:42 AM(UTC)
on_mitch

Hello again
The fridge runs nearly all the time, freezer temp at -5 deg. F, fridge at 41 deg. F
Pulled the rear cover off in the freezer, evaporator and lower louvers completely iced up.
I am going to manually defrost the unit again and start over.
Is there any way to test the new defrost timer, I recently installed, to see if it may be defective?
Mitch
Adam / APP Team  
#1623 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:36:40 AM(UTC)
Adam / APP Team

Groups: Administrators

Dear NascarFan24,

After reviewing all posts between you and the tech I see you have already been provided with instructions needed to begin diagnosing your refrigerator.

If you are unable to open documents, locate these instructions, or need help understanding the tech sheets you may consider having someone help you look over what has been provided and decide whether you need a qualified tech come to your home or not.

Please understand that we have done everything possible on our end to help.

Thank you for your understanding in this matter.
NascarFan24  
#1624 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:03:17 AM(UTC)
NascarFan24

Originally Posted by: NascarFan24 Go to Quoted Post
Gene,I'm having a problem receving your posts to me ? I keep getting notices from other people. I also did a search of myself to see if any of your anwers were there. Nothing showed up. I did a reply to your questions but that's when I stopped getting a reply ? Help !:confused:

Thanks, Nascarfan (Nancy)

Update, I gave up and called a repair person.
Thanks for trying to help me Gene, but I needed to get if fixed asap
and my posts back to you went to ??? I just couldn't wait any longer.
on_mitch  
#1625 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:38:56 AM(UTC)
on_mitch

Hello Gene
I just want to thank you for making yourself available to answer our questions.
Pulled the rear panel in the freezer, iced up solid.
I defrosted it with a hair dryer, then plugged it in and set both the freezer and fridge control knobs to the recommended settings position.
Running quietly, with fridge and freezer both cooling.
I had ordered a new defrost heater which I will pickup tomorrow, but wait to install.
Took lots of pictures just not sure how to upload them.

Mitch
Gene  
#1626 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2012 11:50:08 AM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: on_mitch Go to Quoted Post
...Is there any way to test the new defrost timer, I recently installed, to see if it may be defective?...

Hi Mitch,

The best way to do it is to remove the evaporator cover, manually turn the defrost timer on defrost and check if the heater will get hot. Make sure the evaporator coils are really cold at that time and be careful touching the heater.

Gene.
rosezhang2000  
#1627 Posted : Friday, June 22, 2012 6:44:33 AM(UTC)
rosezhang2000

Hi Gene,

It's been a week and I'm happy to report that the defrost system seems to be working again. No more frost buildup and I hear water running down the freezer side from time to time. Maybe for some reason the defrost system went to sleep and then suddenly woke up due to my poking around.

Thanks for your support! You guys are the best!

Rose
on_mitch  
#1628 Posted : Friday, June 22, 2012 8:56:00 AM(UTC)
on_mitch

Hello Gene
Yes I pulled the cover off, and defrosted it with a hairdryer, until there was no ice left, wiped it all dry and put it back together.
The fridge seems to running fine for now. On off cycles are normal, and temperature is good. Ironically I just picked up my new defrost heater today, but I will wait and see if I really need to install it.

I know things don't fix themselves, but I wait a week or so and see.
Thank you again for your help.
Mitch
beryllium  
#1629 Posted : Monday, June 25, 2012 12:14:48 PM(UTC)
beryllium

Our refrigerator is a freezer-on-bottom Amana model BC21VL (or BX21***, from the paper sticker on the door). A fan blows cold air up the middle of the back wall to the temperature-control baffle, and the air returns through a vent at the left rear under a vegetable drawer to a narrow channel behind the freezer back wall. I have removed the freezer wall several times to remove the ice, and once when the fan failed, but the problem has gotten worse. The ice is always in the channel and never on the coils, which would seem to indicate that the defrost heater is working. Lately I have been pouring half to three quarters cup of nearly boiling water nearly daily down the vent to keep cold air moving. Milk quickly turns to cheese anyway. I was afraid that water would start spilling onto the floor, but such has not been the case, as I pulled the refrigerator out of the alcove to verify that the condenser fan was blowing. There does not seem to be access to where the water sits to evaporate.

The Amana site offers a download of the owner's manual. It finds a pdf document of identical size for either BC21VL or BX21VL, but clicking either one takes you to a Kitchen Aid site that says, sorry, the document is not available.
Gene  
#1630 Posted : Monday, June 25, 2012 5:21:20 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Check the door gaskets. Make sure the doors always closed properly. Don't open the doors too often.

What is the ambient temperature?

Gene.