Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

207 Pages«<157158159160161>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SoloTSi97  
#1581 Posted : Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:54:16 PM(UTC)
SoloTSi97

Groups: Registered

Long story short, I had defrost issues with this refrigerator a few months ago. I ended up replacing the defrost thermistor, which I tested with a multimeter and found to be reading way out of whack, and all was well for a few months.

Fast forward to today, and the refrigerator compartment is warming up (50 degrees). I pulled the back panel out of the freezer and find the coils to be frozen solid.

I have done the following:
1) Put the refrigerator into "force defrost mode", and nothing happens (the defrost heater does not come on
2) Tested the defrost heater for continuity, I get a reading of about 47Ohms (it's actually two glass-enclosed coil heaters wired in parallel, I tested across both of them)
3) Plugged the wires for the defrost heater into an extension cord, supplying 110VAC to the heater, and it immediately heated up. (Looks to me like the defrost heater itself is okay.)
4) Tested the resistance across the defrost thermistor, and it reads in line with the chart in my service manual. (Note, the service manual is for a related model, not my model exactly, but this chart should apply as they share the same part # for thermistors.)

What might the issue be? I have looked through your excellent refrigeration troubleshooting doc (found here, via other posts in this thread). There is a self-diagnosis feature, which I know how to enable, but my model does not have the digital freezer & fridge temp digits. Instead, it has a 'stack' of horizontal bars that represent the temperature setting (mine looks exactly like the top of page 8 in your refrigeration troubleshooting doc, which pictures RS2630).

When I put it into the self diagnostic mode, it beeps and illuminates only the bottom bar on the freezer (left) side. I can't find anywhere how to read these self-diagnosis results on a model that doesn't have the digital readout. Can you help??

What should I check next?

Thank you so much in advance!

-Bob
NascarFan24  
#1582 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2012 6:35:35 AM(UTC)
NascarFan24

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
I did not give up on you but I need you to follow my instructions. I'm attaching these files again.

Gene.

Pre-diagnostic Check:
Compressor sound like it cycles off and on.
Condenser fan motor runs fast, slows down, high pitched tone, (click, click)and then starts up again and repeats the sequence.

Could not recognize Motorized Air Door. There is a plastic attachment that had some cool air coming from freezer side that had a similar unit at the same spot, just the otherside of the wall.

Refrigerator Thermistor: It's attached, no buttons or scres, or area for a read out.

Evaporator Fan Motor: Cycles on and off. Lower part of freezer is frosted over with frozen snow.

Operate the Evaporator fan at 3000 rpm...How ? I didn't see any place to
set it and same for Condenser fan motor and compressor

Diagnosis / Troubleshooting per the instructions
Top row of numbers do not stay on just flash.
Freezer shows 3, Refrigerator shows 34, Water Filter show 99

Enter diagnostic mode: no beep, keeps flashing, no read outs that correspond to diagnostics chart.

WFI test, did not due as we had water leak some time ago so we just turned off the water source and went without Ice Maker and Water dispenser, due to no $$"s for a repair bill.

Reply #2___________________________________________________________________
My e-mail said you sent a msg and I went and followed the directions. But when I cam back to give you my results I saw you actually sent the msg to Wendy. So since I did what you told her to here are my results. Turned the power off so I would get shocked. Got the back off in the Freezer. Coils had Ice on the, and the water drain was frozen over. Took a high powered LED light and check under the Freezer and it was dry. What do I do next ?
6/13/2012 @ 9:50pm ET / Checked the Freezer and all is dry and drain has defrosted. I'm feeling pretty good about it, almost finished ?
What's next ? Thanks !

6/14/2012 @ 8:00am.............Update.
I turned my frig/freezer back on to see if it was fixed. Nope ! This morning, checked it out, and the coils were icing up again. Little plastic fan was running. Freezer was cold, and Frig was slightly cool. Readings were Freezer 3, Frig 34, Water 99. It has a steady beep-beep going on now ? Where do I go now Gene ? Thanks !
Gene  
#1583 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2012 12:54:45 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Wendy,

Remove the rear panel in the freezer and check how the evaporator is covered with frost. Check if the drain hole under the evaporator is not blocked. Post the results.

Gene.
NascarFan24  
#1584 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2012 2:23:15 PM(UTC)
NascarFan24

Originally Posted by: NascarFan24 Go to Quoted Post
Pre-diagnostic Check:
Compressor sound like it cycles off and on.
Condenser fan motor runs fast, slows down, high pitched tone, (click, click)and then starts up again and repeats the sequence.

Could not recognize Motorized Air Door. There is a plastic attachment that had some cool air coming from freezer side that had a similar unit at the same spot, just the otherside of the wall.

Refrigerator Thermistor: It's attached, no buttons or scres, or area for a read out.

Evaporator Fan Motor: Cycles on and off. Lower part of freezer is frosted over with frozen snow.

Operate the Evaporator fan at 3000 rpm...How ? I didn't see any place to
set it and same for Condenser fan motor and compressor

Diagnosis / Troubleshooting per the instructions
Top row of numbers do not stay on just flash.
Freezer shows 3, Refrigerator shows 34, Water Filter show 99

Enter diagnostic mode: no beep, keeps flashing, no read outs that correspond to diagnostics chart.

WFI test, did not due as we had water leak some time ago so we just turned off the water source and went without Ice Maker and Water dispenser, due to no $$"s for a repair bill.

Reply #2___________________________________________________________________

My e-mail said you sent a msg and I went and followed the directions. But when I cam back to give you my results I saw you actually sent the msg to Wendy. So since I did what you told her to here are my results. Turned the power off so I would get shocked. Got the back off in the Freezer. Coils had Ice on the, and the water drain was frozen over. Took a high powered LED light and check under the Freezer and it was dry. What do I do next ?
NascarFan24  
#1585 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2012 2:30:10 PM(UTC)
NascarFan24

Sorry for the additional post, but it kept telling me to click on one of smily's in order to send but on the page I was send there wasn't any smilu's:confused:
Gene  
#1586 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:32:47 PM(UTC)
Gene

1. Compressor sound like it cycles off and on.

2. Condenser fan motor runs fast, slows down, high pitched tone, (click, click)and then starts up again and repeats the sequence.

3. Evaporator Fan Motor: Cycles on and off.

4. Operate the Evaporator fan at 3000 rpm...How ?

5. Enter diagnostic mode

1. How often does it do it?

2. If you are sure that's the condenser fan motor then it's bad and has to be replaced.

3. It should work as long as the compressor does. Does it do it?

4. By running the Diagnostics mode.

5. You have to enter the Diagnostics mode by doing the following: Press and hold the Water Filter Reset keypad, and then immediately press and hold the Power on/off keypad. Continue to press both keypads for 3 seconds, or until you hear a beep.

- The condenser fan motor assembly Part number: W10181323
Part number: W10181323

Gene.
Gene  
#1587 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:43:50 PM(UTC)
Gene

Hi Bob,

The model number you posted does not come up and I'm not able to find parts list and/or diagrams for it. Verify and repost it please.

Gene.
SoloTSi97  
#1588 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2012 6:14:00 PM(UTC)
SoloTSi97

Hi Bob,

The model number you posted does not come up and I'm not able to find parts list and/or diagrams for it. Verify and repost it please.

Gene.

Hi Gene,

That's the correct model number: RS2530BWP/XAA (see attachment). In your refrigerator troubleshooting doc, there is a picture on page 8 supposedly from an RS2630, which looks the same as mine (the caption claims the RS2630 was a Best Buy exclusive, which is where mine came from, so I'd bet they're very similar):
In-Door-Ice motor removal and testing.doc (1,008kb) downloaded 22 time(s).

Other parts sites, which I won't advertise here, do find the model number and show me parts diagrams that look like my model. *shrug*

Assuming that the controls are the same as the RS2630, do you know how to interpret the self-diagnosis result I described (the lowest bar on the freezer side of the display is illuminated, the remaining bars are not illuminated)?

It is similar to other Samsung models, except that it does NOT have separate coils on the refrigerator side ... it has a "normal" flapper door that opens/closes on the refrigerator side. The other big difference is that other models have LED digits to represent the refrigerator & freezer settings, whereas this one simply has the "stacked bar" display:

Here's what I see when I run the self-diagnostic mode:
ED5P.pdf (464kb) downloaded 11 time(s).

I did find via some other sites that the main PCB is part # DA41-00216A, which is no longer available. It looks like it has been superseded by DA41-00219K.

Given that:
1) the defrost thermistor measures the correct temperature
2) the bimetal switch tests good
3) the defrost heater itself tests good (both via resistance and via direct 110VAC power activating the heater)
4) putting the unit in force defrost mode and seeing 0VAC at the terminals that are supposed to supply power to the defrost heater

... I think that it's safe to assume that the PCB is the problem. Any further suggestions before I just order the PCB and give it a shot?
Thanks!

-Bob
SoloTSi97 attached the following image(s):
Photo Jun 13, 9 57 04 PM (Custom).jpg
Photo Jun 13, 10 04 30 PM (Custom).jpg
Photo Jun 13, 10 12 00 PM (Custom).jpg
NascarFan24  
#1589 Posted : Friday, June 15, 2012 10:36:59 AM(UTC)
NascarFan24

1. How often does it do it?

2. If you are sure that's the condenser fan motor then it's bad and has to be replaced.

3. It should work as long as the compressor does. Does it do it?

4. By running the Diagnostics mode.

5. You have to enter the Diagnostics mode by doing the following: Press and hold the Water Filter Reset keypad, and then immediately press and hold the Power on/off keypad. Continue to press both keypads for 3 seconds, or until you hear a beep.

- The condenser fan motor assembly Part number: W10181323
Part number: W10181323

Gene.

Hi Gene, Here's my update on what has happened
I took the back panel off, defrosted the coils and drain.
Not frosting up so far. Little fan in freezer on top of coils
runs fine.

Did the "Diagnosis Trouble Shooting" per your directions: Pre readings:
Freezer=3 / Frig=34 / Filter=99......After readings I reset to: Freezer=5 / Frig=38 / Filter= didn't reset it.

This AM....Turned the unit on and there was no vibraton noise from the Compressor, I assume that's the metal incased part, and the Compressor Fan ran without any noise for half of the day, then quit. So I've turned the unit off and await your instructions.

Will the parts I order be Kitchenaid parts ? I'd prefer the ones made for Kitchenaide rather than an after market part. I also need to order a new watter filter, hopefully with instructions on how to change it. Will an old filter clog up causing water to leak underneath the frig ?

So much fun ?, but I'm so thankful that you do this for us...........Nancy
rosezhang2000  
#1590 Posted : Friday, June 15, 2012 11:38:39 AM(UTC)
rosezhang2000

Hi Gene,

I have the exact problem as the title says. I think it's the defrost system.
But how can I access the defrost part. The back panel seems impossible to remove.

My fridge is Kenmore 106.48212500.

Thanks!