Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

207 Pages«<139140141142143>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Brock  
#1401 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2011 8:26:16 PM(UTC)
Brock

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
Can you explain it more detailed?

Did you see an excessive frost build up on the evaporator coils?

Did you check the defrost thermostat for continuity?

Gene.

Rotated timer until it clicked off. No defrosting. Removed back panel in freezer. Coils iced up. Jumper wire between the two heater elements had ends pretty much burned into. A little tug and the wire fell out. Have replacement heater enroute from your place.
Gene  
#1402 Posted : Tuesday, November 15, 2011 1:11:15 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Sounds like you are on the right track. Keep us posted.

Gene.
Dopaminer_12  
#1403 Posted : Wednesday, November 16, 2011 10:39:39 PM(UTC)
Dopaminer_12

I have a Kenmore Elite, model #596.76263701

The top fridge part was warm, and the freezer was cold. There was frost build-up in the freezer, and at the back of the freezer, I could see that the coils were frozen over, so it seems to be a defrost system problem. I unplugged the unit and let it thaw overnight, and after everything melted, both fridge and freezer are cold again. The repairman came and initially told me he couldn't diagnose the problem because I had defrosted the fridge. Then after I described the ice/frost patterns, he told me that he would need to replace the control panel, as well as the display that is at the top of the fridge (where you adjust the cold settings), a $550 quote. When I asked if the problem could be further pinpointed to possibly save me the cost of replacing both parts, he said that he would look into whether he could obtain just the control panel alone. The following day he called me back and said he could do just that, and the quote was $370. I thought I'd look into possibly doing the job myself to save some money. I wanted to make sure that I could find the correct part (which I am not sure I have found), and also to make sure that the diagnosis is correct. Can I be sure that replacing the control panel will be sufficient? After I plugged the refrigerator back in, I heard sizzling noises in the freezer. Does that mean that the heating element is working ok, and that it is definitely just the control panel/board that needs to be replaced?

Thanks!
Brock  
#1404 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2011 1:00:06 PM(UTC)
Brock

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
Sounds like you are on the right track. Keep us posted.

Gene.

Defrost heater definitely was burned out, or at least one element. Replaced, but I suspect it's still not defrosting (light frost so far on back panel). I assume now I should suspect timer? I turn the timer and everything cuts off, but I can't tell that any defrosting starts. Do any fans or motors run while defrosting? If the timer is running, I should see a change in the position of the screwdriver slot, right?
Brock  
#1405 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2011 5:02:22 AM(UTC)
Brock

Originally Posted by: Brock Go to Quoted Post
Defrost heater definitely was burned out, or at least one element. Replaced, but I suspect it's still not defrosting (light frost so far on back panel). I assume now I should suspect timer? I turn the timer and everything cuts off, but I can't tell that any defrosting starts. Do any fans or motors run while defrosting? If the timer is running, I should see a change in the position of the screwdriver slot, right?

This morning I found the unit in defrost mode. Have to monitor to see if temps get back to normal.
jbutler1  
#1406 Posted : Sunday, November 20, 2011 1:18:03 PM(UTC)
jbutler1

Hey Gene, I hope you can help. I have been reading the forum and decided to post my issue.
Model: Sears Kenmore Model 106.56562400
Purchase date: 4/26/2005. I have the owner's manual and parts list/diagrams
Refrigerator compartment warm. Freezer keeps things frozen and ice OK.
Here is a chronology of today's troubleshooting:
- went online to do some learning. Turned off breaker.
- 1/8" of frost on small 5" patch on evaporator cover. Removed cover. Ice on top right of evap. and distributed evenly on bottom (photo).
- used blow dryer to remove ice. Reassembled. Powered on.
- checked vents in refrigerator. No apparent blockages. Air flow present at diffuser output.
- Refrigerator settings: Freezer: +5F; Refrigerator: +34F
- Temps after 5 hours of running with full food load:
- freezer ambient: 0F; refrigerator ambient: 59F; diffuser output: -14F.
- I wish I knew the air flow rate of the diffuser. Not sure how to judge.
About 2 months ago, after noticing the refrigerator was warmer than expected, we tilted the refrigerator using a hand truck and vacuumed the condenser coils underneath. They were caked with dust.
We didn't notice any improvement, but the food was cold enough for us not to worry.
But this AM we had a real concern with the refrigerator temp.
I'm wondering if there are common failures with this unit.
I plan to wait until morning to see what the temperatures stabilize to.
I think your defroster heater/thermostat/timer diagnostic will be the next thing to do if you recommend.
Separate issue: freezer door pops at bottom when opening about halfway open. While under warranty, I called the repairman out when the refrigerator side door did the same thing. He should have replaced both as a precaution, but now I have the freezer door issue. Is this both the lower AND upper door closer cam pieces or a single piece?
Thanks,
John
jbutler1 attached the following image(s):
DSC03351.jpg
jbutler1  
#1407 Posted : Monday, November 21, 2011 4:24:33 AM(UTC)
jbutler1

Originally Posted by: jbutler1 Go to Quoted Post
Hey Gene, I hope you can help. I have been reading the forum and decided to post my issue. ...
This AM (next day) temps were the following with adjustment of refrigerator temp to 37F:
Freezer ambient: -14F, Refrig. ambient: 37F.
I'll continue to keep the thermometer in there over the next few weeks for monitoring.
Gene  
#1408 Posted : Tuesday, November 22, 2011 2:29:03 PM(UTC)
Gene

John,

I'm afraid there is a problem with the sealed system. You have to call a pro to check the pressure in the system. It's better to call a local company. Their service usually less expensive and more reliable that Sears.

Gene.
HoosierPete  
#1409 Posted : Thursday, December 8, 2011 4:17:43 PM(UTC)
HoosierPete

I have a Kenmore #253.57182600. Is there an easy way to change the defrost heater?
Thanks
Gene  
#1410 Posted : Friday, December 9, 2011 5:09:54 PM(UTC)
Gene

Did you try to do it or you are just preparing?

Did you check this part for continuity or you just guessing?

Gene.