Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

22 Pages«<1011121314>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gene  
#111 Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2011 6:48:33 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
How long the evaporator coils were without the cover before you took this picture?

Gene.
reecedjr  
#112 Posted : Wednesday, April 6, 2011 3:34:39 PM(UTC)
reecedjr

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
How long the evaporator coils were without the cover before you took this picture?

Gene.

Hi Gene,

We were on spring break vacation, and I was getting emails when you replied, but did not get this one. I am sorry I didnt answer sooner-again!

The cover was maybe 3 to 5 minutes max. The first time I took the cover off, the coils were almost all cover with frost.

Thansk Gene

Reece
Gene  
#113 Posted : Wednesday, April 6, 2011 4:36:42 PM(UTC)
Gene

Reece,

Looks like there is a problem with the sealed system, because the frost shown on the picture is abnormal. It can be low on Freon. It can be a restriction inside the system or the compressor is malfunctioning.

Such diagnosis has to be done by a pro.

Gene.
reecedjr  
#114 Posted : Wednesday, April 6, 2011 5:34:01 PM(UTC)
reecedjr

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
Reece,

Looks like there is a problem with the sealed system, because the frost shown on the picture is abnormal. It can be low on Freon. It can be a restriction inside the system or the compressor is malfunctioning.

Such diagnosis has to be done by a pro.

Gene.

Thanks Gene.

I will take take your advice and call a pro. Might be too expensive to start replacing parts without knowing for sure whats wrong. I also have the problem with the ice maker leaking. It does not leak when I turn off the icemaker.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks
Gene  
#115 Posted : Wednesday, April 6, 2011 11:11:07 PM(UTC)
Gene

You are welcome Reece.

Check the age and the warranty on your refrigerator. If it's less than five years old then the sealed system can be under the warranty.

Gene.
noppenbd  
#116 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2011 6:36:00 AM(UTC)
noppenbd

Hi,

I am having a problem with my GE side by side fridge making sounds. I have had the fridge since 2003. This noise seems to be new, or at least louder, in the last 6 months. It comes from the freezer side, back panel, just below the icemaker. The sound is medium-high pitched, between a squeal and a groan, and will sort of "rev up" a little and then abruptly stop, and continue doing this for maybe 15-30 minutes. Then it will be quiet for hours. Cooling seems to be working fine, but the noise is annoying.

After some research I heard the main control board can cause howling noises, so I called GE Customer Relations and they sent me a free board to replace on my own. I was able to do the board swap without any problems, but didn't notice any change in the noise.

Is this noise normal? If not, is there something I can do about it on my own. I am pretty handy (mechanical engineer) so I feel comfortable digging into the guts of the fridge somewhat. Model is GSL25JFPBS.

Thanks!
Dave
richappy  
#117 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2011 8:22:59 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Is the new board identical to the old one. GE recently re-designed the board, perhaps they sent you old stock, the new design is different.
noppenbd  
#118 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2011 8:30:48 AM(UTC)
noppenbd

It's definitely a different design. All the connectors were in different places on the board. Is it possibly a problem with the evaporator motor or bearing?

Dave
richappy  
#119 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2011 9:36:15 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
It's possible a bad evaporator fan motor, but I doubt it. The motherboard puts out a variable frequency square wave a function of thermistor resistance. It's possible one of the thermistors is cracked and intermittent.I would just replace the fresh food and freezer thermistors.
amitgup  
#120 Posted : Sunday, June 12, 2011 12:38:25 PM(UTC)
amitgup

I wanted to thank Gene for posting this thread in such details. With help of this, I was able to diagnose and replace the evaporator motor and fan that was making noise. This was great help.

I just wanted to point out one little thing that I bumped into. The controller in the refrigerator seems to make decision how fast to run the evaporator motor based on a prority given to freezer. So if both the compartments are are room temperature, the evaporator motor would either not run or run very slowly. This happened in my case when I installed the new motor and started the refrigerator. Initially the fan would not run at all or run extremely slowly and I thought that I have either installed incorrectly or got a bad new motor or the motherboard had also gone bad. However, after 15-20 minutes the motor started to run by itself and has been working fine since. My conclusion is only based on this experience so it could be wrong but I could not think of any other reason. In fact the original motor behaved similarly. I opened the refrigerator to find the motor wobbly that had caused the fan to rub against the housing. After 1/2 hr or so that I took to disassemble and thus causing the freezer temp to increase, the fan stopped working completely, at times it would run slowly. I assumed that the motor had gone bad but it might as well be just that the controller was running it slowly. However, I don't know for sure if the original motor that I replaced still works or not. I had installed the new one and when it started working, I didn't want to go thought the trouble of replacing it again to finding out if the original is good. I am saving it and if I happen to get to do this again, I would test it first instead of ordering a new one.

http://forum.appliancepartspros...or-evaporator-motor.html