Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

207 Pages«<122123124125126>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
icyman  
#1231 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2011 4:55:58 AM(UTC)
icyman

Groups: Registered

Good morning,

Where can I find the defrost timer, thermostat, and evaporator? It would be great if there are pictures.

Thanks
Gene  
#1232 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2011 3:22:43 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Peter,

Mercury thermometer is more accurate and least expensive. I believe you can buy it in any hardware store.

Gene.
pc527  
#1233 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2011 6:51:20 PM(UTC)
pc527

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
Peter,

Mercury thermometer is more accurate and least expensive. I believe you can buy it in any hardware store.

Gene.

Gene, I picked up two mercury thermometers today, one for each side. Just put them in. Will wait a couple hours to get a reading. By the way, last night I set the freezer temp. to -1 and the frige side to 36. When I got home earlier and checked the digital temp. display from the frige it said freezer side was -1 and frige side was 39. I also noticed that there are warm air blowing out from underneath the fridge and I hear a humming sound, i guess that must be the compressor? Didn't notice this before. Will report back later w/ the temp. from mercury thermometers.

peter
j-lee  
#1234 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2011 7:26:18 PM(UTC)
j-lee

i just replaced the defrost heater in my freezer-model Hotpoint Side by side CSX22GRBK and that was definitely bad. it was still frosting up a little at the bottom & wasn't sure if it worked or not. not sure when it is supposed to defrost. i checked your list of faulty defrost system. i did locate the defrost timer and clicked it off. after about 10 minutes I did hear sizzling noise in the freezer. the new defrost heater was glowing and saw a little smoke. i guess this was the water hitting the metal housing. i quickly turned the timer back on & everything starting running again. Does this mean i need a new defrost timer? Could that have caused a fire, if it went into defrost mode & stayed there? where should it be set anyway. i clicked it all the way around before it stopped to defrost. i was going to get the defrost thermostat, just in case, but mine looks like a thermostat tube, like in a fish tank, not like the small button one found in the specs on this site for my refrig. i believe mine may be an older model. i've had it since 1999? my local appliance place had ordered the wrong part based on the model i gave them and it was wrong. they happened to have an older defrost heater that worked for mine. it was a double bar replacement. If the timer is acting up, i won't have a fire or anything will I?
pc527  
#1235 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2011 7:52:46 PM(UTC)
pc527

Originally Posted by: pc527 Go to Quoted Post
Gene, I picked up two mercury thermometers today, one for each side. Just put them in. Will wait a couple hours to get a reading. By the way, last night I set the freezer temp. to -1 and the frige side to 36. When I got home earlier and checked the digital temp. display from the frige it said freezer side was -1 and frige side was 39. I also noticed that there are warm air blowing out from underneath the fridge and I hear a humming sound, i guess that must be the compressor? Didn't notice this before. Will report back later w/ the temp. from mercury thermometers.

peter

Hi Gene,

I just took a reading from the mercury therms. The freezer side is reading -1. The frige side is reading 46 ! Last night I had the temp. set to -1 / 36.
I'll get another reading in an hour.

Peter
pc527  
#1236 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2011 8:03:59 PM(UTC)
pc527

Originally Posted by: pc527 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Gene,

I just took a reading from the mercury therms. The freezer side is reading -1. The frige side is reading 46 ! Last night I had the temp. set to -1 / 36.
I'll get another reading in an hour.

Peter

Just noticed the humming noise went away and there's no longer warm air blowing out from underneath the frige so I open the frige to check the mercury therms. The freezer side is now reading 36 and the frige side is 48 ! Yikes. I think the fridge just quit on me? The frige's own digital temp reading says -1 / 40. Hmmm...

about 10 minutes or so later, the humming sound and warm air came back. I can also hear some type of fan spinning from underneath. According to the mercury therm, the temp appears to be coming back down slowly.

Peter
pc527  
#1237 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 6:43:41 AM(UTC)
pc527

Gene, this morning the mercury therms are reading -2 on freezer side and 34 on frige side. The humming/fan noise can still be heard and warm air is blowing out from underneath the frige. It appears that the frige is unable to maintain a steady temp. so the compressor/fan keeps running? Is it possible that the compressor got too hot so it just stopped last night for a period of time so the temperature on both side shot up?

Thanks,
Peter
Gene  
#1238 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 12:37:47 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: icyman Go to Quoted Post
Good morning,

Where can I find the defrost timer, thermostat, and evaporator? It would be great if there are pictures.

Thanks

What is the complete model number of the refrigerator?

Gene.
Gene  
#1239 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 12:43:26 PM(UTC)
Gene

Peter,

Pull the refrigerator out of the wall. Remove the rear cover and clean the condenser (#730 on the diagram). Make sure the fan next to the compressor (#650) is working properly.

Put the cover back in place. Let the fridge to work a few hours and check the temperatures.

Gene.
Gene  
#1240 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 12:59:37 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: j-lee Go to Quoted Post
...they happened to have an older defrost heater that worked for mine. it was a double bar replacement...

The original defrost heater for your refrigerator has a single glass tube (heating element). It is still available as a kit included the defrost thermostat. GE later designed the replacement defrost heater with two heating elements to improve the defrost cycle. BOTH of the heating elements (glass tubes) MUST be installed. Did you install both of them?

A little smoke at the very first use can be normal due to a safety grease covered the coils.

If you install the defrost heaters right and it's still does not defrost properly, replace the defrost timer. If you installed only one heating element, then it most likely got damaged.

- The defrost timer Part number: AP2061695