Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mechter  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 9, 2010 4:01:27 PM(UTC)
mechter

Groups: Registered

Hi,

I have read a couple similar posts, here's my story. Dishwasher runs fine. When finished there is water at the bottom. This started about two weeks ago. Drain hose connects to short garbage disposal hose (See picture). Usually the end connector is straight up and down. When I reset the dishwasher and let it run through the drain cycle with hose connector pointed down into a bucket it will drain the dishwasher. I'm guessing I may have a similar issue to another poster with the piston and nut not closing. If so, can someone explain how to actually take my dishwasher apart to look at it?

Thanks in advance,
Max
mechter attached the following image(s):
Picture 005.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 10, 2010 1:48:28 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for General Electric GSD5320D02BB Dishwasher | AppliancePartsPros.com

How much water?
A quarter inch or so at the lowest point in the tub is normal.

Could not really see much in the picture.
If the drain hose is not looped up higher that where it enters the disposal and you get a partial plug in the disposal then the dishwasher will siphon water back out of the disposal.
Here is a good install sheet on how it should be.
http://products.geappliances.com/MarketingObjectRetrieval/Dispatcher?RequestType=PDF&Name=31-30515.pdf

To get at the piston & nut.
Remove the 2 screws holding the screened cover at the back of the tub.
Cannot really see in the parts breakdown but on some units you also have to remove the clip that is holding the heating element, another 2 screws.
Remove the cover and you will see the piston & nut.
It unscrews.

This would also be a good time to check the sump.
Remove the sump cover from the center of the tub.
Take note of how the inside piece is installed, if you put it back wrong the chopper will eat it.
Check that there is nothing wrapped aroung the chopper.
Check that there is no debris in the sump.
Be careful as there is often broken glass in the sump.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
mechter  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 10, 2010 9:05:44 AM(UTC)
mechter

Groups: Registered

The setup is just like method 1 with the air gap except it doesn't come through the counter top. Just wedges under the sink higher than the disposal, but not much higher, so maybe that could be an issue as well?

Sometimes it is only a 1/4 inch of water and sometimes it's completely full. Thanks for the info on the piston and nut. I had the screen removed but didn't know exactly how to get at the piston and nut. I will try to unscrew it tonight. Should it be obvious when looking at the piston and nut as to whether it needs replacing? Thanks again, this is extremely helpful.

Max
denman  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 10, 2010 12:14:18 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="Blue"]Should it be obvious when looking at the piston and nut as to whether it needs replacing?[/COLOR]
Yes usually it is.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!