Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Crashflyer  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 3, 2010 1:52:29 AM(UTC)
Crashflyer

Groups: Registered

Hi, I have a Kenmore ultra wash dishwasher 665.16705891. I ran it last night and it overflowed, today I tinkered with it and ran it through about 20 cycles. Sometimes it fills about 1 inch below the heat element where I believe it should be and the next cycle it fills well above the heat element shutting of once the float switch is is opened. Other times it fills too low and the pump can't circulate. I also noticed occasionally after it fills and the inlet valve closes and the wash cycle starts, the inlet valve will open for about 1 second and close for about 1 second and repeat that 15 or 20 times. I have checked the float and it moves freely. I have checked the float switch for continuity and it is good. I checked water inlet screen, it's clear. I checked voltage to the inlet and I've got 120v. When I checked continuity of the solenoid it read 1.23 not 0.00. I checked my Grandmother's solenoid as a reference and hers read 1.12 so I assume that is what it should read. My best guess is to replace the inlet valve but I would appreciate any other words of wisdom before I spend money I don't have. Thanks for reading.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 3, 2010 2:14:41 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
From your description I would replace the fill valve.

Since you have checked the float switch and it is OK and the unit overflowed the valve must have stuck open.

Other symptoms could be a control problem but I would do the valve first.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Crashflyer  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 3, 2010 5:50:28 AM(UTC)
Crashflyer

Thanks for such a quick response Denman, I appreciate it. I couldn't think of anything else to check and rule out before I replaced the valve, so thanks for the second opinion.
Crashflyer  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 6, 2010 8:14:39 AM(UTC)
Crashflyer

Well I replaced fill valve and the first five cycles filled to the correct height each time durring each cycle but then resumed it's bad habbits once again! Filling to the point that the float switch is opened, filling about 20 sec. and then starting wash cycle, and just "behaving goofey" durring operation. I know Denman you suggested a control issue, my model has a control knob so could the issue be with the timer assembly? I have checked all the wiring and connections thru the washer for possible damage and everything looks fine so I feel I have ruled everthing else out.
denman  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 6, 2010 11:42:28 AM(UTC)
denman

Damn, I would have put money on it being the valve.

Yes it could be the timer but at about $120.00 it is getting close to the point where it may not be worth fixing.
Crashflyer  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 6, 2010 10:46:37 PM(UTC)
Crashflyer

Yeah I hear ya man, I thought that was it too, I guess the good part is i can check that off the list of suspects. I ended up taking the timer apart tonight and found that one of the metal contacts that engages during different points on the timer wheel had arced and melted the contact off for some reason. That now explains the odd behavior but now the question of why it shorted in the first place. I paid 300 new 10 years ago so spending half that on just 2 parts is kind of hard to justify without knowing what the cause of the short was and if it may happen to a new timer due to another unseen issue. Hmmm???
denman  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 7, 2010 2:21:34 AM(UTC)
denman

It may just be normal wear and tear on the contact. All it takes is a little bit of dirt on the contact, this causes a spark which the pits the contact next time another spark a little more pitting and so on and so on till the contact fails.