Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

207 Pages«<9293949596>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tochenduszko  
#931 Posted : Monday, July 19, 2010 2:31:55 PM(UTC)
tochenduszko

Groups: Registered

Hello to all. This wonderful group helped me to fix our Kenmore 253.58677890 a year ago. We had the classic freezer fine frigde warm. Replaced the defrost timer and then the defrost themostat and all was well for a year. This morning woke up to freezer at 31 and refridge at 51.
There was water all over the kitchen floor.
Turned defrost timer manually, and compresser started (stuck in defrost mode this time?)
Everything started to cool down and began to make ice. Ran for about 8 hours and went into defrost mode. When defrost ended I emptied the freezer to check coils for frost. All coils were free of frost.
But towards the top of the freeze on the left side corner there was alot of ice as though there was water running and it froze. All I could think was a leak from the ice maker, but when the maker started to make ice again, there was no visiable leakage.
It really has me stumped this time.
All ideas?
Thank you,
Sue
Gene  
#932 Posted : Monday, July 19, 2010 2:45:12 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Sue,

Quote:
...Turned defrost timer manually, and compressor started (stuck in defrost mode this time?)...

Did is switch out of defrost by itself or you had to force it again?

Quote:
...But toward the top of the freeze on the left side corner there was a lot of ice...

Possible it is low on Freon. It can be checked by the pressure in the sealed system. It has to be done by a pro.

Gene.
tochenduszko  
#933 Posted : Monday, July 19, 2010 5:57:49 PM(UTC)
tochenduszko

Hello Gene,
Yes it went out of defrost mode on its own the last time.

Can the Freon still be low if I have an even frost pattern?
Thanks again,
Sue
kcofoid  
#934 Posted : Monday, July 19, 2010 6:10:57 PM(UTC)
kcofoid

I do not have any frost build up inside of the freezer compartment. I have not pulled the inside panel out to check for continuity. I will try to do this tomorrow.
Gene  
#935 Posted : Monday, July 19, 2010 6:11:08 PM(UTC)
Gene

Sue,

You have to watch it for a few days. It would not show up right a way.

Gene.
Gene  
#936 Posted : Monday, July 19, 2010 6:17:10 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: kcofoid Go to Quoted Post
I do not have any frost build up inside of the freezer compartment. I have not pulled the inside panel out to check for continuity. I will try to do this tomorrow.

How did you set the temperature controls?

Gene.
tochenduszko  
#937 Posted : Monday, July 19, 2010 6:34:20 PM(UTC)
tochenduszko

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
Sue,

You have to watch it for a few days. It would not show up right a way.

Gene.

I'm sorry Gene, do you mean that the frost pattern would not show up for a few days? I ask because the frig just went into defrost again and the coils had an even coat of frost again.

Sue
Gene  
#938 Posted : Monday, July 19, 2010 6:39:39 PM(UTC)
Gene

Sue,

There is not enough information at this time. We do not know exactly what was wrong and why. It is possible that this problem would not come back at all. That's why I would recommend not to do anything and just watch it.

Gene.
tochenduszko  
#939 Posted : Monday, July 19, 2010 7:05:53 PM(UTC)
tochenduszko

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
Sue,

There is not enough information at this time. We do not know exactly what was wrong and why. It is possible that this problem would not come back at all. That's why I would recommend not to do anything and just watch it.

Gene.

Thank you Gene. We will be saying a few extra prayers tonight.

I may have the funds for a new one in the next couple of months. May I ask what you recommend?
Thanks,
Sue
poliepolie  
#940 Posted : Monday, July 19, 2010 9:15:31 PM(UTC)
poliepolie

I just a got a 2001 Kenmore Coldspot model #61182108 (per the tag inside) as part of a funiture/appliance exchange. It is my understanding that the fridge had been unplugged for a few months, was plugged in 2 days ago and seemed to be working fine. Brought it home a day ago and plugged it in at noon. Set temperature to "3" both on fridge and freezer. It's been a day and a half and the fridge did not get below 42. The freezer is fine. Thouroughly vacuumed the bottom of it by removing the front grill; removed the freezer back panel and cheked for the opening to the fridge and everything looks open and free of blockage; ice did not have time to form on coils and fan moves freely. Had it unplugged for couple of hours and plugged it back in, there is very little cold air flowing into it form the freezer. BTW the whole thing is empty; so no blockage of vents. I am asuming there is a problem with the damper but don't know how to access. And can't seem to find the same model anywhere on the web. Read from the begining of the blog till page 30th when I decided to post my own request for help.
Help?!