Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

207 Pages«<9091929394>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shakey1  
#911 Posted : Thursday, July 8, 2010 4:52:28 AM(UTC)
shakey1

Groups: Registered

I would diagnose and fix the defrost problem first. It can eliminate the other problem.

The troubleshooting instructions are on the very first page of this thread.

The defrost timer is shown as #23 on the diagram. The defrost heater and defrost thermostat are shown as #14 & #21 on the diagram.

Gene.

Read more: http://forum.appliancepartspros...rm-92.html#ixzz0t5wEyks9
http://forum.appliancepartspros.com

Thanks Gene that confirms what I was thinkin!
Gene  
#912 Posted : Thursday, July 8, 2010 1:31:41 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Brian,

The first and major question: have you seen the frost build-up in the back of the freezer or you just guessing?

The time given by the timer for defrost is no more than 30 minutes and, if the build-up is really heavy, this time is not enough. You can turn it manually a few times in a row or just use a hair dryer to melt all frost.

Answers on all your other questions you'll find after you will turn the timer.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL RT14BKXGW00 | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
Brian_Cali77  
#913 Posted : Thursday, July 8, 2010 9:10:41 PM(UTC)
Brian_Cali77

Hi Gene,

Yes, when I emptied the contents of the freezer, I noticed a considerable amount of frost build-up on the back wall of the freezer (both sides of the middle vent housing). After I turned the dial on the defrost timer to the audible "click" I didn't notice any sizzle noise as mentioned in the sticky. However, after a few hours, I could hear that sound of water dripping and circulating throughout the fridge. I had to place bowls inside the fresh food compartment to catch some of the water dripping from the vents (all 3) in the roof. This morning I noticed actual cool air now flowing from the center vent located behind the light bulb and everything in the fridge is now cool again. I suppose the defrost worked. Does that mean it has to be replaced?
h0j0  
#914 Posted : Friday, July 9, 2010 3:13:34 PM(UTC)
h0j0

Gene -

I am hoping for some help on my bottem freezer amana (AFD2535DEQ). The freezer is cold but the fridge does not chill. Here are my observations after reading through a number of posts.

- there is some frost buildup on the evaporator coils. however, it does not appear to be anywhere near the level that would restrict airflow.
- the evap fan appears to not start on when the compressor fan and compressor are on..although sometimes it is working when i open the freezer to check on it. other times though it takes a light nudge to get it going. when it is going, it appears to be moving "weakly"...although i am not sure how hard it should be blowing. i do know that I do not feel any airflow coming out of the vent in the top of the fridge section.
- i looked for any blockage in the vents i found on the back left and right bottem of the fridge section. there didn't appear to be any blockage.

any suggestions as to what i can do to troubleshoot this thing?

thanks in advance.
Gene  
#915 Posted : Friday, July 9, 2010 6:07:50 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: Brian_Cali77 Go to Quoted Post
...However, after a few hours, I could hear that sound of water dripping and circulating throughout the fridge...

Was the refrigerator off for all this period of time? If it was off for a few hours, then it could defrost just because it was off and not because of the defrost heater engaged. Have you heard a sizzling sound or just water dripping?

Gene.
Gene  
#916 Posted : Friday, July 9, 2010 6:11:42 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: h0j0 Go to Quoted Post
Gene -

I am hoping for some help on my bottem freezer amana (AFD2535DEQ). The freezer is cold but the fridge does not chill. Here are my observations after reading through a number of posts.

- there is some frost buildup on the evaporator coils. however, it does not appear to be anywhere near the level that would restrict airflow.
- the evap fan appears to not start on when the compressor fan and compressor are on..although sometimes it is working when i open the freezer to check on it. other times though it takes a light nudge to get it going. when it is going, it appears to be moving "weakly"...although i am not sure how hard it should be blowing. i do know that I do not feel any airflow coming out of the vent in the top of the fridge section.
- i looked for any blockage in the vents i found on the back left and right bottem of the fridge section. there didn't appear to be any blockage.

any suggestions as to what i can do to troubleshoot this thing?

thanks in advance.

Sounds like the evaporator fan motor has gone bad.

- The fan motor Part number: AP4009649
h0j0  
#917 Posted : Friday, July 9, 2010 6:50:14 PM(UTC)
h0j0

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
Sounds like the evaporator fan motor has gone bad.

- The fan motor Part number: AP4009649

thanks gene. i'm hoping to find the part tomorrrow and i'll let you know if that is the solution.

regards!
Brian_Cali77  
#918 Posted : Friday, July 9, 2010 8:41:30 PM(UTC)
Brian_Cali77

@Gene

No sizzle sound and just the water dripping sound. I did not unplug the fridge so the power remained on at all times. It's now day 2 and the refrigerator compartment (aka: fresh food compartment) is now very cold again (my beer is ice cold again... yay!). Anyway, it's working but now I'm concerned that without fixing whatever failed component caused this ordeal in the first place, history would just repeat itself. Do you think the defrost timer was the culprit?
h0j0  
#919 Posted : Saturday, July 10, 2010 11:56:25 AM(UTC)
h0j0

Originally Posted by: h0j0 Go to Quoted Post
thanks gene. i'm hoping to find the part tomorrrow and i'll let you know if that is the solution.

regards!

Gene - thanks for your advice. It was the evaporator motor...she is running cold as ever now!
Gene  
#920 Posted : Saturday, July 10, 2010 6:49:31 PM(UTC)
Gene

Brian,

It's hard to say anything at this point. Enjoy your beer but keep watch the fridge.

Gene.