Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

207 Pages«<7374757677>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gene  
#741 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2010 12:40:11 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
You are welcome. I'm glad you were able to fix it.

Gene.
Neolamprologus  
#742 Posted : Wednesday, March 3, 2010 1:59:51 PM(UTC)
Neolamprologus

Groups: Registered

Need help please~ I have a Samsung side by side with the same problem -the fridge side warm because of the icy evaporator coils. http://www.servicematters.com/m...library/docs/SAM0096.pdf

I understand it's the defrost system problem but I am not sure how to test:

1) thermistor (near the top next to the light bulb)

2) the thermostat (?) with black wire
Part Details - SAM THERM, part number: AP4136048

3) the sensor (one with white stick?) that clipped to the evaporator

4) heater (?) right under the fan
Part Details - SAM HEATE, part number: AP4137756
simon_y08  
#743 Posted : Saturday, March 6, 2010 7:44:13 PM(UTC)
simon_y08

All signals come back to PCB in the bacl of refrigerator.
There is a schematics in the bacl of refrig (sticky label).
It shows all signals. Remove connectors from PCB and ohm each component of interest. Unplug power before this.
sktomw  
#744 Posted : Tuesday, March 16, 2010 2:10:23 PM(UTC)
sktomw

I'm having the same symptoms many on this thread have had, but I can't find the right parts on my diagram. I'm guessing that the defrost timer is integrated on the control board like many other Amana refirgerators. Assuming it's not the control board, where are the defrost heater and defrost thermostat located? I can't find them on my diagram.
Gene  
#745 Posted : Tuesday, March 16, 2010 5:56:08 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: sktomw Go to Quoted Post
I'm having the same symptoms many on this thread have had, but I can't find the right parts on my diagram. I'm guessing that the defrost timer is integrated on the control board like many other Amana refirgerators. Assuming it's not the control board, where are the defrost heater and defrost thermostat located? I can't find them on my diagram.

The heater and thermostat are shown as #15 & #32 on the diagram. The defrost timer is integrated in the control board (#5 on the diagram).

- The defrost heater Part number: AP4078863
Part number: AP4078863

- The defrost thermostat Part number: AP4009073
sktomw  
#746 Posted : Tuesday, March 16, 2010 6:08:03 PM(UTC)
sktomw

Okay, thanks Gene! I thought that might be those parts, but wasn't sure. Since I can't do anything with the defrost timer, I'll run the continuity checks on the thermostat and heater like you described in the first post. I'll be sure to post back what i find, especially since I didn't see any other posts related to my model. It may help someone else down the road.
sktomw  
#747 Posted : Wednesday, March 17, 2010 3:04:24 PM(UTC)
sktomw

Okay, i removed the back panel on the freezer and everything is completely frozen as expected. I tested the heater and that had good continuity. The thermostat is now thawed, but if I freeze it in a block of ice I assume I can test if for continuity. Since my heater is okay, I'd much rather buy a $17 part than a $95 part if I can.
sktomw  
#748 Posted : Thursday, March 18, 2010 4:05:59 AM(UTC)
sktomw

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm out of luck. I tested the thermostat after freezing it solid in a cup of ice and the circuit was closed. Does that mean my control board is definitely bad? My heater tested good as well.

Tom

EDIT: I just read through the service manual and saw that I could test things using the control panel, so I'm going to do that when I get home from work (after I reconnect the thermostat) and see what happens. I'll report back.
Gabe D.  
#749 Posted : Thursday, March 18, 2010 9:45:53 AM(UTC)
Gabe D.

I'm having this defrost problem as well.

Amana Model AFD2535FES

Had repair guy out to look at it, and he said it was probably a bad defrost thermostat, but didn't have one with him. He took pity on me and said that I could just order it, and replace it myself and save a bunch of money. I replaced it, but it didn't work - freezer still freezes up after about a week.

After reading this thread, it looks like the more likely culprit is the probably the adaptive defrost control (or possibly even the heater). I don't have a way to test the parts, but I'm still money ahead of the repair guy even if I replace both parts. The control diagram for my refrigerator doesn't show a picture of the adaptive control, but I'm assuming it's part of the "frost kit" (#5 on the control diagram).

So, should I just go ahead and replace the heater and the "frost kit" to solve the problem?

Thanks.
sktomw  
#750 Posted : Thursday, March 18, 2010 10:40:54 AM(UTC)
sktomw

That's really close to my model number - check the link that Gene gave me for the service manual. The section for the control panel has instructions on running diagnostics through the panel in the refrigerator (which I wish I had looked at before cutting the wires on my thermostat). That might point you to the problem component.

Tom