Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

207 Pages«<7273747576>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
grod777  
#731 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2010 8:23:10 PM(UTC)
grod777

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
The thermostat (depends on design) should be closed when its temperature is at least bellow 30°F (or colder).

Gene.

What do you mean it should be closed?
Gene  
#732 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2010 8:31:00 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: grod777 Go to Quoted Post
What do you mean it should be closed?

"Closed" means the electrical circuit through the thermostat is closed and electricity can go through.

Gene.
grod777  
#733 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2010 8:49:05 PM(UTC)
grod777

"Closed" means the electrical circuit through the thermostat is closed and electricity can go through.

Gene.

Not sure how that would happen. The heater consists of 2 wires leads that go to the thermostat and the thermostat is attached to the coils. The timer is in the fresh foods side of the fridge.
Gene  
#734 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2010 9:10:04 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: grod777 Go to Quoted Post
Not sure how that would happen. The heater consists of 2 wires leads that go to the thermostat and the thermostat is attached to the coils. The timer is in the fresh foods side of the fridge.

The defrost thermostat should be attached to the evaporator coils. When the coils cool down, the thermostat cools down as well. Power to the heater comes through the thermostat and if it's not cold enough, then there is no power to the heater.

In other words the defrost thermostat works as a switch. If it's not cold - the heater is off. If it's cold and there is power from the timer - the heater is on.

Gene.
grod777  
#735 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2010 2:28:29 PM(UTC)
grod777

The defrost thermostat should be attached to the evaporator coils. When the coils cool down, the thermostat cools down as well. Power to the heater comes through the thermostat and if it's not cold enough, then there is no power to the heater.

In other words the defrost thermostat works as a switch. If it's not cold - the heater is off. If it's cold and there is power from the timer - the heater is on.

Gene.

Just checked it when I got home. Turned the dial on the timer and the heater turned on. Now I just need to make sure that it the timer turns on and off by itself.
It must have been that the freezer was already too warm thus the heater would not turn on.
Thanks for your help.
Gene  
#736 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:27:57 PM(UTC)
Gene

You are welcome. If there is something wrong, it'll show up in a few days as a frost built up on the rear panel in the freezer.

Gene.
grod777  
#737 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2010 6:11:04 PM(UTC)
grod777

You are welcome. If there is something wrong, it'll show up in a few days as a frost built up on the rear panel in the freezer.

Gene.

Quick question: I verified that the heater will go on by manually turning the dial on the timer. I walked over to the fridge and noticed it was off so I assumed the heater should be on. When I checked it it was off. Maybe I got there too late and it had already shut off-not sure. Does the timer set off the heater or does the thermostat activate the timer wehich then turns on the heater? Would the timer shut the fridge off but not turn on the heater sometimes?
Gene  
#738 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2010 12:28:32 PM(UTC)
Gene

The compressor controls by two separate devices: the defrost timer and the temperature control. How could you know which of them turned the compressor off?

I would just leave at alone for a few days and check the temperature and the condition of the freezer rear panel later.

Gene.
grod777  
#739 Posted : Sunday, February 21, 2010 8:39:12 AM(UTC)
grod777

The compressor controls by two separate devices: the defrost timer and the temperature control. How could you know which of them turned the compressor off?

I would just leave at alone for a few days and check the temperature and the condition of the freezer rear panel later.

Gene.

I removed the rear panel of the freezer and there was a little frost (no where near as much as when I first pulled it off). I turned the dial on the timer and the heater came on, defrosted the frost and then turned off. Right now I am waiting to see if the fridge turns back on. If it does I am assuming everything is working correctly otherwise I would have had a lot more frost build up. Am I correct?
grod777  
#740 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2010 12:31:26 PM(UTC)
grod777

Just thought I would update-Everything is working fine I guess it was just the heater that was defective. Thanks for your help Gene.