Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

207 Pages«<6869707172>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
joe907  
#691 Posted : Monday, December 14, 2009 5:36:20 PM(UTC)
joe907

Groups: Registered

Ok the first defrost cycle just occurred about 2 hours after install of the parts and the fan is off for the first time in a long time. Hopefully it is fixed. I will keep my finger crossed.

Thanks for the forum, it is awesome!!!!!!

Joe
Gene  
#692 Posted : Monday, December 14, 2009 5:57:44 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
You are welcome Joe. Keep us posted.

Gene.
Gene  
#693 Posted : Monday, December 14, 2009 6:02:39 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: rixemailfl Go to Quoted Post
So...

My icemaker stopped making ice, today I notice that the fridge seems warmer than freezer... Frost on back panel in freezer.

Just did the defrost timer test twist...

Not sure if I hear sizzling or not... Blower stopped running and I hear a slight almost trickling sound in freezer... Is that the sizzling I should be hearing?

Thanks for this site!!!

Remove the rear panel in the freezer and, if the coils are frozen, run the defrost cycle again. Post the results.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL ET22DKXFN00 | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
rixemailfl  
#694 Posted : Monday, December 14, 2009 6:17:19 PM(UTC)
rixemailfl

Originally Posted by: rixemailfl Go to Quoted Post
So...

My icemaker stopped making ice, today I notice that the fridge seems warmer than freezer... Frost on back panel in freezer.

Just did the defrost timer test twist...

Not sure if I hear sizzling or not... Blower stopped running and I hear a slight almost trickling sound in freezer... Is that the sizzling I should be hearing?

Thanks for this site!!!

OK... Took panel off of inside of freezer & totally defrosted the coils...
The defrost timer did cycle back on after I turned it to the defrost cycle... I'm assuming that means the timer is OK.
Also assuming that means my heater is bad...
Gene  
#695 Posted : Monday, December 14, 2009 6:48:06 PM(UTC)
Gene

I would check the heater for continuity first.

- The defrost heater Part number: AP3861946
Part number: AP3861946

- The defrost thermostat Part number: AP3108454
Part number: AP3108454

Gene.
gwipper  
#696 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2009 8:04:48 AM(UTC)
gwipper

Hello,
I have a 1995 Whirlpool Designer Style (M/N# ET21DKXDW02). The freezer works but the refrigerator is warm. I completely cleaned the coils, and the fan underneath is working fine.

The freezer is completely frosted over, snow, and there is a build up of ice under the bottom of the freezer that is viewable from the refrigerator.

Any ideas guys? Trying to get our refrigerator working in time for Christmas dinner. Thanks in advance.
Gene  
#697 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2009 10:50:00 AM(UTC)
Gene

The first thing I would do is make sure the drain in the freezer is not clogged and/or frozen. Remove the rear panel in the freezer and defrost the evaporator coils using a hair dryer. The drain hole is under the coils. Make sure it's open using a cup with hot water.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL ET21DKXDW02 | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
joe907  
#698 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2009 2:20:41 PM(UTC)
joe907

A week after changing the heater and the def thermostat everything is still working great. Thanks again for this forum.
vswolf  
#699 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2010 12:30:50 PM(UTC)
vswolf

Hi there, hoping you can help!

We have a Kenmore model 106.50522101. Our problem is that the fridge side is way too warm (45-50) and the freezer is way too cold (-10 -- -20) The freezer has frost and ice buildup everywhere - there's a layer of ice on the bottom floor, and "snow" (as the kids call it) everywhere.

One time I found that a vent on the bottom left of the fridge was blocked with ice. I defrosted it with a hair dryer and it seemed to be a drain tunnel of some sort. After I defrosted that, and also the ice around a couple vents leading into the fridge, the temp dropped to 36 in the fridge. However, after a week or 2 it went warm again and now the hair dryer trick won't work.

We tried the diagnostics steps today. We advanced the timer and the defrost cycle turned on, but we never heard sizzling. (unless it's really really quiet?) We also found the defrost heater and it didn't appear to be on.

So next we unplugged the fridge and checked for continuity on the defrost heater. We also noticed that the heater was cold even though the defrost cycle had just been on. The analog multimeter read zero, so we're assuming that means there *is* continuity, so the next step is the defrost thermostat?

However, at this point we've noticed a few more things:

1) The drain plug under the evaporator coils is completely plugged with ice. But could this be a cause of, or a symptom of, our problem?

2) The evaporator coils are not covered in ice. However my husband is saying that he's almost positive there's ice *behind* them, if that's possible?

Would either of those things cause the defrost heater not to turn on? Or should I go ahead and just order the defrost thermostat?

This problem all started after the kids left the freezer door open all night one night. (Partially closed over but not sealed) So could it just be ice and frost buildup from that?

Thanks for all your help!!
Gene  
#700 Posted : Sunday, January 3, 2010 8:03:34 PM(UTC)
Gene

I do not think there is a problem with the defrost system because you said that the evaporator coils are not covered in ice. Most likely the problem is that the air diffuser (#24 on the diagram) and the air return:
Quote:
...a vent on the bottom left of the fridge...
are blocked with ice due to:
Quote:
...the kids left the freezer door open all night one night...
Also you may want to check for ice behind the evaporator cover and air scoop (#5 & #3 on the diagram).

Gene.

P.S. Do not forget to defrost and unclog the drain under the evaporator.