Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
arby1413  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 22, 2009 1:55:03 PM(UTC)
arby1413

Groups: Registered

Mother in law recently had a pot boil over which shorted out the selector switch. replaced, and stove top works, but oven control seems to work backwards, in that, the heating light comes on immediately and goes off the higher setting you dial in. It should be the other way around, yes? I noticed the plastic cover on the thermostat capillary tube, close to the temp dial was melted by the short, but the thermostat wire seemed intact. Could this be the culprit? Any thoughts?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2009 5:16:46 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Make sure the dials for the selector switch and the thermostat (#20 & #21 on the diagram) are not switched around.

Gene.
arby1413  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 24, 2009 3:18:13 AM(UTC)
arby1413

Dials are in the correct location. If the therm switch also was damaged, or the thermocouple, would it cause this behavior. I mean, at the lowest temp setting the top and bottom element are both red hot and the heating light is on. The higher you set the dial, it shuts off at around 375-400. weird,,,
Gene  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 24, 2009 9:18:03 PM(UTC)
Gene

The top (Broil) element helps to heat the oven during Baking, but should not turn red. The heating light should go "On" as soon as the thermostat turned "On" and should go "Off" when the oven got the set temperature.

If it does not work this way then the selector switch might be installed improperly or the oven thermostat has been damaged as well.

Here is the Wiring sheet.

Gene.
arby1413  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 5, 2009 3:10:54 PM(UTC)
arby1413

Gene or others who can help,
I did find some bad connections to the selector switch that I repaired and that made the thermostat switch work correctly, in that it now turns on at the lowest setting and goes off when the temp is reached. But,,,, the upper broil element continues to come on fully and red hot whenever the thermostat calls for heat no matter what position the selector switch is in, I/E bake, broil etc. Any ideas? burnt wire? which wire?
Gene  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 5, 2009 9:25:02 PM(UTC)
Gene

Possible the oven thermostat has gone bad as well.

- The oven thermostat Part number: AP3026912
Part number: AP3026912

Gene.
arby1413  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 6, 2009 10:32:10 AM(UTC)
arby1413

already replaced this part as well. At first it didn't make any difference to the "working backwards" problem, so I don't think it was bad to begin with. After I replaced 2 of the wire connectors to the selector switch, that problem went away. Not making good contact I figure. But the problem of the top element always getting red hot when it calls for heat is still an issue. Burning Mom's cakes!
Gene  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 6, 2009 1:49:28 PM(UTC)
Gene

Does it do it after it got to the set temperature?

Gene.