Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SWKRO  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 28, 2009 6:03:44 PM(UTC)
SWKRO

Groups: Registered

Had a tech diagnose bad heater element. I saved $150 by ordering the part & installing it myself. The replacement heater kit was a new dual element unit and seemed to work immediately to defrost the ice build up on the evaporative coil. (but now I realize I thawed ice buid up with a blow dryer) Fridge was working great for about 4 days, but now it seems the problem has come back.... coils are all iced up The old element was definately burnt out I believe that i have the new defroster plugged in properly, there is just a pink & blue wire each with a harness. How can I tell if the new elements are working (obviously no glow, since they are not thawing) What else could be going on here? I do not have any electrical knowledge or testing tools. Any help would be appreciated.
I did notice that Part Number: AP3185407 sensor temp ff looks burnt/brown ...is this a further issue? I have ordered the following to trouble shoot further

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 29, 2009 3:02:40 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I would unplug the fridg, remove the motherboard cover in the back and locate the 3 pin power connector. Remove it, note which pins are labled "line and defr. and put a wire jumper between the plug mating pins. Plug in fridg, if you get no defrost, replace the defrost thermostat and evaporator thermister.
SWKRO  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 29, 2009 11:52:07 AM(UTC)
SWKRO

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
I would unplug the fridg, remove the motherboard cover in the back and locate the 3 pin power connector. Remove it, note which pins are labled "line and defr. and put a wire jumper between the plug mating pins. Plug in fridg, if you get no defrost, replace the defrost thermostat and evaporator thermister.

Thank you. Can you give me a liitle bit more detailed "how to" I thought I saw a previous poster who had some pictures, but now I cant find the post. I have very limited electrical skill, but can follow directions well.
[LIST=1]
  • What is a jumper?
  • How do I jump?
  • What specific pins get jumped?
  • Is there a schematic of the motherboard?[/LIST]Also, If I replace the thermister (it looks like it is fried, it has brown/black ooze at the bootom) can I just splice it to the exitsing white wire? I noticed a harness/plug behind the ice maker that looks too hard to get to. Would I also be able to do the same with the defrost thermostat?

Appreciate the help!!
  • SWKRO  
    #4 Posted : Friday, October 2, 2009 6:02:34 AM(UTC)
    SWKRO

Well did not get any additional assistance with this so I went to Radio Shack and bought some jumpers (was easy to figure this out on my own) and some shrink tubing for when I would splice in the new defrost thermostat & evaporator thermister. Was able to find the 3 prong power connector and the line & defrost pins. Did the jump, no glow from the heater so proceded to replace the components. The thermister was visually & most obviously bad, so I am hoping the replacement will solve my problem. Kind of proud of myself for doing all this by myself, not to mention getting a very good deal & saving lots of $$ by ordering the parts from APP!!! Thanks Again! I'll post the outcome as soon as I know what exactly it will be:)
    Grumps  
    #5 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2009 12:43:26 PM(UTC)
    Grumps

SKWRO I hope you have conquered the beast. I have the same problem with a GE S/S. I'm having a problem deciding where the 3 prong power plug is. I think it is the plug with the defroster/line you need to jump. Because it's on the motherboard I"m a little uneasy about pulling to hard. Any assistance, I would appreciate.
    Thanks
    Grumps
    SWKRO  
    #6 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2009 12:59:15 PM(UTC)
    SWKRO

Originally Posted by: Grumps Go to Quoted Post
    SKWRO I hope you have conquered the beast. I have the same problem with a GE S/S. I'm having a problem deciding where the 3 prong power plug is. I think it is the plug with the defroster/line you need to jump. Because it's on the motherboard I"m a little uneasy about pulling to hard. Any assistance, I would appreciate.
    Thanks
    Grumps

Hi Grumps-

Yes, I conquered the beast and my fridge is working better than ever! I can't believe I fixed it all by my lonesome. You are correct about the 3 prong power supply cord to the muthaboard. I encountered the same problem. It does need to be pulled straight out so you do not bend the pins. The board is very fragile & I also did not want to damge any resistors or circuits, but you can use the index finger of your left hand to push agianst the board as you gently pull the power harness straight out. You'll laaugh once you realize how easy it is to plug & unplug it once you get it released the very 1st time:) .

I was correct in my original determination however, it was the thermister. Needless to say, the defrost heater element definately need to be replaced, the thermister was visually faulty (it should be all white with no oozing black or brown residue/leakage) so I replaced it and while I was at it I also replaced the defrost thermostat. I spent less than $70 total for replacement parts, the jumpers from Radio Shack, along with some shrink tubing for my spliced connections of the new parts. I saved $115 by doing it myself. Good luck to you!!
    gerefriGSS22JERFWW  
    #7 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:06:59 PM(UTC)
    gerefriGSS22JERFWW

Hi SKWRO and Grumps and/or anyone here willing to assist, I have no handy man around but kinda need to fix my refrigerator lol:o ...I'm pretty good about following step by step directions...where do I start? I realize that you both have a different model but any help would be greatly appreciated....I just called the place where I bought the defrost heater and the owner told me that it might be a problem with a sensor (looks like a white bullet located above the evaporator fan motor)....of course, that doesn't tell me much either...I'm still trying to find my way around this website...

Thanks,
    DIY'er girl :confused:
    gerefriGSS22JERFWW  
    #8 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:10:27 PM(UTC)
    gerefriGSS22JERFWW

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post

Any help with finding this motherboard etc...would be greatly appreciated...tough times...thanks:confused:
    SWKRO  
    #9 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:18:41 PM(UTC)
    SWKRO

Look at the pictures of my earlier posts and you will see the white "bullet" shaped thermister. You really need to navigate this website with your fridge model # so you can see the diagrams and get familiar with your particular model. Just enter it in the search box, that is the only way you can "educate" yourself & you will do fine, I am sure. And by the way, be sure you order your parts from APP (this site) best prices & great customer service!!
    gerefriGSS22JERFWW  
    #10 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:30:05 PM(UTC)
    gerefriGSS22JERFWW

Thanks SWKRO! I don't know if you had the chance to look at my original post from today... I spoke to the man at the shop where I purchased the defrost heater for $30 (yes!) and he did mention that thermister thingy that you mentioned. I tried to figure out where the defrost timer is on my refri but it doesn't even come up on this site...he offered to test it for continuity tomorrow morning and also FYI he mentioned that he thought there's a recall on the motherboard (in case you have additional problems). He offered to have the recall info for me tomorrow morning...is the motheboard on the outside or inside of the freezer? sorry to bother you SWKRO and again thank you! I'll look at your pics that you posted...:)