Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

10 Pages«<23456>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dan Burns  
#31 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 1:55:48 PM(UTC)
Dan Burns

Groups: Registered

Hi -- I have a GE XL44 Gas oven/range...and need to replace the oven gas igniter. I removed the oven floor and BUT cannot see how to remove the flame spreader (plate sitting under the gas tube) so I can remove old igniter (which is attached to a gas tube)... can anyone offer a suggestion? When I removed several screws around the perimeter -- the spreader sank down about 1/2 inch but can't move it after that... HELP?!

The wires hang down behind the bottom drawer -- so I can get to them -- but will need to cut and use wire nuts to connect new igniter since connectors are different configuration -- will that be an oprational problem.
Gene  
#32 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 6:32:44 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Dan Burns Go to Quoted Post
...cannot see how to remove the flame spreader (plate sitting under the gas tube)...

...The wires hang down behind the bottom drawer -- so I can get to them -- but will need to cut and use wire nuts to connect new igniter since connectors are different configuration -- will that be an oprational problem.

Dan,

This is not the flame spreader. The flame spreader is on top of the burner. Do not remove this panel. Instead remove the whole burner together with the igniter, replace the igniter and reinstall the burner.

You do have to cut the old igniter wires and splice the new one.

Gene.
Bob219  
#33 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 3:30:57 AM(UTC)
Bob219

Hi, I wanted to make sure what part I would need for my oven as the it does not work but the stove tope does. I checked to make sure the Pressure Regulator was open as it mentioned in the Troubleshooter. My guess is the Igniter but without any way to test it How can I be sure. I've been looking at the diagrams and from what I can see it could be any of the following parts, Pressure Regulator, Thermostat, Valve Safety ASM, or Igniter and since the cheapest of these 4 parts is about $50 and the most expensive is $125, I do not want to throw good money away if I can get some help in the matter. I do appreciate any help I can get as this was completely sudden used it Monday and we had no problem but we went to use it on Tuesday and it would not lite.
Gene  
#34 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 4:07:57 PM(UTC)
Gene

Bob219,

If you would like to avoid guessing and replace only a part which is really bad then you have to invest some money and buy a simple multimeter to perform some troubleshooting. Let us know when you ready.

Gene.
plink49  
#35 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 4:16:44 PM(UTC)
plink49

I'm also having to replace the oven igniter on the XL44. My range is a Hotpoint RGB745WEA1WW. When I remove the oven floor I can easily see the igniter attached to the burner but I can't get to the two attaching bolts. Removing the one screw at the front of the burner doesn't help much. What is the next step to remove the burner?
Gene  
#36 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 6:41:51 PM(UTC)
Gene

plink49,

Remove the bottom drawer. The Bake burner is mounted to the rear panel with the two screws besides the front screw.

Here are the break down diagrams for the Hotpoint range Model RGB745WEA1WW

Gene.
plink49  
#37 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2009 2:16:48 PM(UTC)
plink49

Thanks Gene,

Other than the fact that whoever designed the location of the mounting bracket for the burner should be put in front of a tribunal, the replacement of the igniter went very smoothly. The bracket with the 2 screws with hex heads is where you can't get a socket or wrench to undo them and took me 3 times a long to remove/replace that bracket than the remainder of the job. I wound up replacing the screws with stainless steel sheet metal screws with phillips heads so they can be removed at least a little bit easier the next time.

This forum is great!
Gene  
#38 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2009 2:32:21 PM(UTC)
Gene

We are glad you were able to fix it.

Gene.
chicagocarrie  
#39 Posted : Tuesday, August 25, 2009 4:50:43 PM(UTC)
chicagocarrie

I have a Maytag Gemini Gas range MGR6772WH. In order to replace the ignitor, do I need to pull out the range and access the connections from the back? Thank you....

Carrie
Gene  
#40 Posted : Thursday, August 27, 2009 8:49:36 PM(UTC)
Gene

Hi Carrie,

No, you do not have to do it. It is pretty good access from the front of the range.

- The oven igniter Part number: AP4102012
Part number: AP4102012

Gene.