Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

207 Pages«<5253545556>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
charleswilt  
#531 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 12:47:10 PM(UTC)
charleswilt

Groups: Registered

Well, the freezer seemed to go back down to 0 yesturday, so I'm pretty sure I just happen to see it in a defrost cycle. Yesterday and this morning, the fridge was running 41-42 and the freezer was at 0. Any idea what to look at next? Thanks! Charles
Originally Posted by: charleswilt Go to Quoted Post
Ok, Changed the setting Friday night, as of this morning, temp in the fridge was 42.

I bump the fridge & freezer another notch toward colder (at 7 now) to see what happens.

Just now went to check the temp of the freezer, freezer's at 15??? WTF???

Actually it looks like I may have caught the freezer in a defrost cycle. Can hear stuff &quot;tinking&quot; and see water dripping. I'll check it again a little later.

Charles
pmatejcek  
#532 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 1:04:27 PM(UTC)
pmatejcek

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
Paul,

Looks like the timer was stuck and did not switch to the defrost cycle. The heating circuit seams to be fine unless there was a loose connection which got fixed when you moved it. I would replace the defrost timer first.

The model number you posted does not come up. Verify and repost it.

Gene.

Well, a week later, all appears to be well. I essentially just defrosted the evaporator, and poked and prodded a lot of other things.

I suspect that perhaps the timer might have stuck. If so, it will undoubtedly do it again! If the reefer box starts to get warm again, I'll monitor the timer -- the shaft is accessible in the box -- and see if it is still moving. If not, I'll force a defrost cycle and buy a new timer!

Thanks for your support, Gene. The information I gleaned here enabled me to troubleshoot, disassemble, and reassemble without wrecking anything.

Paul in East Troy WI
Gene  
#533 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 5:54:05 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Well, the freezer seemed to go back down to 0 yesturday, so I'm pretty sure I just happen to see it in a defrost cycle. Yesterday and this morning, the fridge was running 41-42 and the freezer was at 0. Any idea what to look at next? Thanks! Charles

Charles,

Remove the rear panel in the freezer and check how the evaporator covered with snow. It suppose to be 100% covered with thin snow. If it's not covered completely then there is something wrong with the sealed system. It has to be diagnosed by a certified refrigeration guy.

Gene.
Gene  
#534 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 5:54:56 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: pmatejcek Go to Quoted Post
Well, a week later, all appears to be well. I essentially just defrosted the evaporator, and poked and prodded a lot of other things.

I suspect that perhaps the timer might have stuck. If so, it will undoubtedly do it again! If the reefer box starts to get warm again, I'll monitor the timer -- the shaft is accessible in the box -- and see if it is still moving. If not, I'll force a defrost cycle and buy a new timer!

Thanks for your support, Gene. The information I gleaned here enabled me to troubleshoot, disassemble, and reassemble without wrecking anything.

Paul in East Troy WI

You are welcome Paul. Good luck with your refrigerator.

Gene.
charleswilt  
#535 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 7:31:40 PM(UTC)
charleswilt

Gene,

I'll check it out. Any tips for removing the cover? I tried to remove it initially, but even after taking out the screws and removing the air duct, it didn't seem to want to come off.

Thanks!
Charles
Charles,

Remove the rear panel in the freezer and check how the evaporator covered with snow. It suppose to be 100% covered with thin snow. If it's not covered completely then there is something wrong with the sealed system. It has to be diagnosed by a certified refrigeration guy.

Gene.
charleswilt  
#536 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2009 2:46:45 PM(UTC)
charleswilt

Gene,

Ok, got the back of the freezer off, it appears there's frost on the bottom half of the coil. But not the top.

Do I need to close the door and wait before looking at it to be sure, or should I call the repair guy?

Do you have a guesstimate of what kind of $$$ I'm looking at...perhaps it's time for a new fridge.

Thanks!
Charles

Charles,

Gene.
Gene  
#537 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2009 2:54:12 PM(UTC)
Gene

Gene,

Ok, got the back of the freezer off, it appears there's frost on the bottom half of the coil. But not the top.

Do I need to close the door and wait before looking at it to be sure, or should I call the repair guy?

Do you have a guesstimate of what kind of $$$ I'm looking at...perhaps it's time for a new fridge.

Thanks!
Charles

Charles,

Looks like thee is a problem with the sealed system. It can be anywhere between $200 to $700 and your decision should be based on condition and size of the old fridge as well as price for a new one.

Gene.
charleswilt  
#538 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2009 4:12:07 PM(UTC)
charleswilt

Gene,

I waited a while (while browsing Consumer Reports) and went back up to check the freezer. Apparently it was defrosting, as there was no frost on the coil and the air temp right above the coils was 55.

I turned off the power and turned it back on. After browsing consumer reports some more, I just checked it. There is frost over the whole coil and the air temp above the coil is showing 22.

I'm going to wait a little longer and see what happens. Question, I've still got the cover off, does that matter with respect to the air temp I'm seeing?

Do you still think it's a sealed system problem?

Thanks!

Charles

Charles,

Looks like thee is a problem with the sealed system. It can be anywhere between $200 to $700 and your decision should be based on condition and size of the old fridge as well as price for a new one.

Gene.
Gene  
#539 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2009 10:03:19 PM(UTC)
Gene

Quote:
...I'm going to wait a little longer and see what happens. Question, I've still got the cover off, does that matter with respect to the air temp I'm seeing?...

Put everything back together and watch the temperature in both compartments for a few days.

Gene.
P.S. Never heard about measuring temperature on top of the evaporator - does not make any sense.
davea3466  
#540 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2009 7:15:54 AM(UTC)
davea3466

I moved the timer and did not hear any noise in the freezer, but the frost seems to be melting. Does this mean the timer is not running and the rest of the parts are OK?