Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JRoss54471  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 8, 2009 2:03:19 PM(UTC)
JRoss54471

Groups: Registered

We have a Magic Chef oven that will randomly beep with an F1 code. It will do this for several weeks then quit and work just fine for several months. Every thing on the stove works fine. We have to unplug the stove to keep it from beeping at random times. We had the control panel replaced a few years ago and it helped for about two years. Usually if we are able to keep the stove unplugged for a few weeks it will stop the F1 beeping for several months. Is it possible to disconnect the beeper?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Dan O.  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2009 2:08:46 PM(UTC)
Dan O.

Groups: Senior Expert

Quote:
Magic Chef [range] that will randomly beep with an F1 code.

That can either be caused by a problem in the electronic control or sometimes in the control panel keypad. We would need the range's serial number to determine which control and which keypad was used on your range model.

It is sometimes possible to isolate which of those components was responsible by disconnecting one from the other and seeing if the fault code returned. If the code returned even while the keypad was disconnected, it would usually point to a problem in the control itself. If the error did not return while the keypad was disconnected, the control panel might be most suspect.

Quote:
We had the control panel replaced a few years ago and it helped for about two years.

It could have failed again or be in the control keypad this time or even before and it was just a fluke that the problem went away for that long.

Quote:
It will do this for several weeks then quit and work just fine for several months.

That is going to make it difficult to try the above mentioned test.

Quote:
Is it possible to disconnect the beeper?

1. The oven should not be able to be manually operated if an F1 error message is present... whether it is beeping or not.

2. If there really is a problem in the control, you don't want to leave it plugged in. It is responsible for the unit heating and could behave erratically if malfunctioning (ie. heating when off) which could possibly present a fire hazard! :eek:

JMO

Dan O.
www.Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
JRoss54471  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2009 3:57:04 PM(UTC)
JRoss54471

The oven works just fine. It just beeps the F1 all the time. May just have to buy a new stove I guess.
ETylerJC  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 7:49:48 PM(UTC)
ETylerJC

JRoss, I was wondering if you ever found a solution to your problem. I have taken my stove apart tonight, just trying to find what to unhook in order to get the blasted beeping to stop. Does anyone know which thingie that migiht be? I am tired of having to plug in the stove every time I use it and unplug it afterwards. I'm a woman, sorry. But you have to answer me in terms of red wire thingie and so forth, but I WILL FIGURE THIS OUT I think....Thanks. Elaine
dakotadan  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 9, 2009 3:37:30 PM(UTC)
dakotadan

I've had one of these smooth-tops for a number of years and had to replace the keypad ribbon at least once to get the F1 error to quit. I won't replace it again. it's way too expensive and doesn't last. The local repairman here says he can count on income in the spring and fall replacing the electronics for these ranges. I'm in the process of replacing it with something else. We can't get to the plug-in to unplug the stove so we trip the breaker to silence it. I have noticed that the error happens when the temperture and humidity are at a certain point. The whole winter long we had no problem at all but this spring when the temps hit the 80's and the humidty was above 50% the problem occured. We discovered that turning the oven on the lowest setting (170 degrees), the error would stay at bay, but the minute you shut the oven off, the beeping started. I think this should have been a recall item by Maytag a long time ago. No more Maytag products for me - they don't live up to their billing.